Comic 977 - Tell Jury what you heard

Posted on 29th Apr 2018, 1:51 PM in Chapter VIII
Tell Jury what you heard

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 29th Apr 2018, 1:51 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
While avoiding the key phrases, you explain to Jury what happened--that she started playing an audio recording, and offered her USB port to give out a program. Jury looks down, realizing that she's taken her glove off.

While she puts it back on, you tell her what the recording revealed: the potential address of Site 1, and the fact that it's disconnected from the other bunker network. The key phrases themselves were anagrams, suggesting that the director of Site 1 was, himself, one of the Thales.

"Wow," Jury replies. She has about as much shock in her tone as you think she can pull off. "So the Thales have been planning this since the start. Could Site 1 have evidence implicating our Thale in all this?"

"No clue," Caius replies. "All we know is tha door ain't attached to our door."

"And that somebody died for this," Michelle adds.

"At least one person," Fuse points out. "No telling who else went down with Zone Fifty."

Jury nods. "I remember Dr. Calloway... but not well, looking back. I barely remember him being here."

"That may well be Zone Fifty's handiwork, as well," Dr. Finch suggests. "If he were absent from your memories entirely, it would be suspicious. If you recalled his odd behavior toward the end, you may have been inclined to research him further... and discover the nature of his death. Thus, they left you with the bare minimum--enough data to think he wasn't relevant."

Fuse looks up from his work at the computer. "I've got a program working on the Site 1 data. No clue how long that'll take... depends on how many combinations opened that door. Hope the place was heavily staffed, and it'll be easy to stumble onto a winning entry."

"That gonna slow down the computer any?," Michelle asks.

"It might drag our progress on the other bunkers a bit," Fuse replies. "I also checked that address. Calloway was right--it, uh, is a bit of a drive. Definitely not in the city."

"I doubt that address is current," Elizabeth states. "I don't need to tell you all that the doors are removable. Much can be credited to Thale's arrogance, but repositioning that door at the first opportunity should have been incredibly obvious."

"She's got a point," Caius says. "Hate to say it, but that door's prob'ly long gone."

Comments:

T41 29th Apr 2018, 2:36 PM edit delete reply
Might it be hidden somewhere within the Thale Energy building?
Frission 29th Apr 2018, 3:50 PM edit delete reply
Frission
He would probably keep it close to home. It'd either be in his company in the highest security area, or literally in his home.
Fishbulb 29th Apr 2018, 2:49 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
It might be worth taking a look anyway. Are there any ravens free for a long distance flight?
Blue_Elite 29th Apr 2018, 3:23 PM edit delete reply
Edgar at the Hacker's location (no longer of importance).
Allen at Zene's house (may still be of importance if we want to risk going into the lower-tiers to get their stuff out).
Poe at the Hummer/Cam's hospital (keeping an eye on our hummer assuming it hasn't been taken away already; we really need to get that back).
Reiko Lupus 29th Apr 2018, 2:52 PM edit delete reply
Sending a Raven or a Piggeon to the old position of the door wouldn't hurt XD. If it is there, then it would be a beautifull hit of Luck. If not, we aren't going to lose nothing.
And ask Jury if it's possible for her to search in her own programming for the "Delta" program. If she can find it, maybe she can find other programs left in her.
Jaesooth the Mad 29th Apr 2018, 3:08 PM edit delete reply
Could we bait Carpenter into concentrating his efforts on Thale rather than us?
fellow 29th Apr 2018, 3:10 PM edit delete reply
fellow
Hey so, it just occured to me, the hackers were blooded by thale, right? What's keeping thale from making a bunch of arm monsters to kill the secret service guys?
Reiko Lupus 29th Apr 2018, 3:21 PM edit delete reply
...Damn, that IS a problem.

Then, I'm going to suggets something:
Remember the giant mosquitoes of the hospital? Maybe we can make Golems like that, but smaller, and with our own Blood in them? XD. That way, we can take control of people before that happens. We simply need to send a swarm of insects to inject Blood in a lot of different places. Thale isn't going to have a place to create the Monster XD.
Blue_Elite 29th Apr 2018, 3:36 PM edit delete reply
We just crippled his game-winning plan AND now have the feds looking in his direction. He can't be proved to be involved in magic just yet, so it's not a huge threat but a threat nonetheless. If Thale turns his hackers into abominations or even mysteriously kills them, that might cause red flags from the departments that handle magic suppression; the big guns that send in black helicopters.
Basically, as long as we don't back Thale into a corner, he'll just force the hackers to not give away anything vital and let them stay in captivity; not like they can backstab Thale even if they wanted to.

Though on that note, recall the blood testing machine some department developed to test for alien blood. If Jury has any connections with them, that might be a good next step to implicating Thale since the hackers definitely can't do or say anything against Thale.
Blue_Elite 29th Apr 2018, 4:03 PM edit delete reply
We can send Edgar from the Hacker's location to scout out the last known location of Site 1.
We can also hug Jury. We should probably send her on her way back to interrogate the hackers. If she can get the feds on Thale's case, that'll slow him down even more (leaving only Carpenter and possibly Hope to actively hunt us). We should point out if Thale is mind-controlling them, the hackers will not willingly give out any info. The blood testing machine used on Dr. Finch might work instead to implicate Thale (it's okay to point this out, Jury was the one to get Dr. Finch in that situation in the first place).

Then we should assess how much wind astral projection knocked out of us. If it's a lot, lunch plans (I'm thinking tacos). If it's moderate, bone armour crafting or work on Elizabeth (whichever is easier). If we've recovered rather quickly, we may want to go ahead and move on to trying the ritual in Bunker E (just outside the door where electronic devices are not allowed, we can try sticking a ghost arm inside to make sure it doesn't explode before stepping full-in as a ghost).
Reiko Lupus 29th Apr 2018, 4:17 PM edit delete reply
I agree with all of that XD.