Comic 972 - Try to be seen

Posted on 27th Apr 2018, 2:35 PM in Hope
Try to be seen

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 27th Apr 2018, 2:35 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You try to manipulate, or even perceive through, the miniature you.

...To no avail.

You try to perceive through or communicate with anyone.

Nothing.

You are, currently, not the blood. In fact, you have no blood--you're a big bundle of electricity pulled directly from your original body. ...Which is a little strange to think about. The blood, the "other" you, the Red version of yourself is still in the body sitting on the floor. "You," at present, are the neurological impulses and other miscellaneous electrical bits excised from that form, leaving only enough behind to keep the body running.

You have, in short, managed to separate what would be considered your "human self" from the rest of you. Your purely brain-based thoughts and memories exist here, as a ghost. All of your blood powers are still with the blood.

Most ghosts are simply copies of thoughts--electrical impulses that get simulated by the environment, like leaving an indent of your body in a couch cushion. EM fields pick up a brain pattern and keep firing it. By contrast, you, the ghost you, are thinking and feeling at full capacity, as far as you can tell. The spell hasn't made a copy of your firing neurons, but rather... sort of transposed them to act independently.

This has a lot of implications and potential, but is also very frightening. You find yourself without your blood powers for the first time in a long time.

You walk up to the miniature you and try to move her physically... like, with your hands. You move right through her.

You move right through everything, in fact. You try to touch Dr. Finch's lab equipment, and your hand passes straight through it.

Nearing the restroom, you... notice something. A faint movement, the slightest motion, just out of the corner of your eye. You look around, trying to find it again... but you see nothing.


It's quiet without anyone else here.

Quiet enough that you hear a whisper.



"Old... Heretic... Rat..."


and then nothing.

Silence.


You ask the baby red, and the large mouth on the wall, if they can perceive you.

"Barely," the mouth states. "I have methods of sensing beyond the brain facsimile. Your presence is strong enough to be picked up, but you are... difficult to spot."

"Not see," the smaller red states. "Slight jealous."

You try to focus on being more solid. You've messed with ending electrical impulses before, and strengthening electrical currents in an existing body. You have a... working, basic grasp of how to manipulate biological electricity, you just need to make the currents composing you stronger.

It takes... some effort. You've not really done this at this scale before, and it's hard to not lose your grip and have your body go back to its previous, weaker state as you're heightening it. Strengthening part of you feels easier than increasing the whole thing, but you need to be entirely more potent.


You focus.

You feel yourself... brightening.

Becoming more dense.


image


"There she is," Michelle says with slight relief in her voice.

"See, I told ya," Caius replies. "If I could do it, there's no reason she can't."

"Not gonna lie," Fuse adds, "it kind of freaked me out when Big Red started talking to you."

It's a fight to keep yourself at this level, but you buckle down and focus on it. After a little bit, you start to get used to it, and it becomes progressively easier to maintain yourself at this amount of power. You understand what Caius was saying, though--for someone less experienced with mentally willing electrical components, it would be hard to make yourself visible, let alone stay that way.

Comments:

pkrankow 27th Apr 2018, 3:12 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Well then...

My hypothesis about brain thi king vs blood thinking and the eye injury we are supposed to no investigate may be flawed if we perceive that our blood "us" Red is still in our body while our brain "us" goes walkabout.

I hope Red understands what is going on here.
Swagner 27th Apr 2018, 3:14 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Ask Jane's Red (out loud, so she can hear through the ears we left behind) what it feels like on her end.

Also, ask Caius if he heard the exceptionally creepy voice too.
Twyll 27th Apr 2018, 3:15 PM edit delete reply
So, this struggle is similar to what Faraday has to deal with, then. Do we think we can help talk her through it, now that we've done it too?

Alternatively, could we design toys for her to play with that will help her learn? Children learn best through play, after all. If we can give her various devices to try to use-- like the screen, but that do various different things, maybe attached to light bulb or toy robots or musical instruments (maybe an electric keyboard and a "learn to play piano" book?)-- she might be able to get better at focusing her energy on specific places. Even just talking to her through the screen might help, but it's good to have variety and expand the variety of tasks she can try. We can have Fuse help us reinforce the devices so they're harder to burn out, and make it clear to Faraday that it's okay if she accidentally breaks things, it's just all a part of learning and we're proud of her for trying.
Mochi 27th Apr 2018, 3:16 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
go into the bathroom. michelle said the ghost gun gets warm in there, and it also got warm when caius came close when he was an imprint, so we can make an educated guess that there's a ghostiegoo in our bathroom. be careful, though. might not be a friendly ghost
Blue_Elite 27th Apr 2018, 3:23 PM edit delete reply
Part of me wants to try waking up Red in our body and have a discussion. Part of me is completely scared doing so will screw up the ritual and shut us out of our own body (at least until the ritual is duplicated).
A party trick to consider if needed at some later date I suppose.

We should try to communicate via scary noises. See if talking puts significant strain on the focusing process. Then move on to poltergeist activity (moving objects). If we can get all of that down in one go, we can try doing this in Bunker E next (assuming we have any strength left after rejoining our body).
Ghost hugs are within our ghast-I mean grasp.
Leafia_Barrett 27th Apr 2018, 3:24 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Examine the paranormal-ish activity that seems to be originating from the bathroom. Carefully, since that voice didn't seem to be the friendliest.
Terrac 27th Apr 2018, 3:37 PM edit delete reply
Investigate the ghost, definitely. AFTER we check on our Red. For someone who is essentially a part of us to be suddenly separated from us, who knows how she's feeling right now. After all, we were kind of expecting her to come with us, since she's a part of us.
chaosblitz 27th Apr 2018, 4:52 PM edit delete reply
ooh, yeah let's do both of those things in that order.
Istyatur 27th Apr 2018, 3:54 PM edit delete reply
Interesting... also poses questions as to how much we are one being, it almost is like we are 2:a human and an alien-blood-god that happen to share the same body. Or its a case of 1 mind, 2 sets of hardware.

I support seeing if we can talk to our red like this, close to when were ready to end the spell. Before that, we should try to exert physical force, see what is in the bathroom, and if the voice is not from the bathroom, talk to it.
Too Many Monkeys 27th Apr 2018, 3:57 PM edit delete reply
Try touching something or someone, I'd choose the Mini or Michelle. Does physical contact require more concentration than just physical presence?

We might need the ritual to make an imprint stronger before we can actually communicate with whoever is in the bathroom.
psychoshen 27th Apr 2018, 4:13 PM edit delete reply
I could be remembering this incorrectly, but the last time we got called a heretic was around when Save the Queen was big. I don't know about the old or rat part. Check out where the voice came from, but definitely be on guard.
Madd 27th Apr 2018, 4:15 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Return to our head and Talk to red.
Heroshima 27th Apr 2018, 5:52 PM edit delete reply
Heroshima
ʷʰʸ ᵈᵒᵉˢ ᵗʰᵉ ᵖᵃʳᵃⁿᵒʳᵐᵃˡ ᵃᶜᵗᶦᵛᶦᵗʸ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵗᵒ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵃᵗʰʳᵒᵒᵐ
PurpleKetchup 27th Apr 2018, 7:42 PM edit delete reply
Wait, did Jane essentially pull a Dr. Manhattan here ?
pkrankow 27th Apr 2018, 7:51 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Manhattan

Maybe