Comic 899 - Go shopping in Southden

Posted on 6th Apr 2018, 5:02 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Go shopping in Southden

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 6th Apr 2018, 5:02 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You wake up the next day, and everyone enjoys breakfast parfaits. You check up on the news, and ask Fuse about his progress with the Ilworth property.

"The bank owns most of it," he says, "with a few random places belonging to someone else. I'm still working out who that someone else is... and trying to figure out how to buy up land without maybe exposing us. The banks there really want you to do this kind of thing in person--and fill out paperwork the old fashioned way. I'm still looking in case there's a way around that."

You check on Elizabeth. "I'm fine," she says flatly. ...She does seem more attentive, if no less distant.

Michelle takes some parfaits to the Mars guests. You, Caius, and Dr. Finch head to Southden to do some shopping.

"We may wish to pick up the biopaste last," Dr. Finch suggests. "It would be a bit awkward to try and lug that around all day."

After arriving in Southden, the three of you spend a significant portion of the day shopping.

You buy more comfortable clothes for Elizabeth--mostly in adjustable sizes, or in styles that work fine if worn loose, so she'll still be able to wear it all after you change her body more. You also buy her a journal--not just to possibly help her remember things, but also so she can codify her thoughts. Expressing how she feels, what she thinks, what opinions she's forming--even if it's in private, it'll help her define herself as an individual separate from Thale.

You buy some things for Tesla--stuffed animals, a puzzle, pillows, a child-sized tent (that's easy to put together), different kinds of books, and a couple more child-appropriate blankets.

You buy electronics parts, tools, and other equipment to fix up Faraday's monitor. Dr. Finch helps you out with some of it, while other parts you have to get in touch with Fuse to determine. You believe you've gotten everything you need to get it operational now.

You also shop for some basic living necessities--cleaning supplies, paper plates, water filters, preserved food... things of that sort. Mostly for the Mars guests and your efforts to move them into Ilworth, but also to top off your own group's supplies.


You, Dr. Finch, and Caius also go looking for the library. You get stopped at the entrance to the glass dome, but your credentials from Lovers hold up perfectly--they let you inside with little difficulty after seeing your identification.

Once you're inside the dome, the library isn't too hard to find--it's fairly large, though... unexpectedly bland looking. It doesn't have much color to it, and there's no large sign or anything advertising that it is, in fact, a library. The address does check out, though.

Caius parks the motorcycle somewhere obscure, and the three of you walk up to the building. "You sure we got tha right address?," Caius asks. The building has windows, but, even up close you can't see through them--it's pitch black beyond the glass.


As you draw nearer, you see a message posted upon the entrance:


"THE LIBRARY
IS ALWAYS OPEN"

Comments:

fellow 6th Apr 2018, 5:40 PM edit delete reply
fellow
Let's see if we can get the library entity to do a little more. Let's turn around and tell the others that the library seems closed and we need to come back later.
Wote 6th Apr 2018, 6:17 PM edit delete reply
I'm not sure this is the best idea, but I'm also not sure it's the worst. Let's try it just to see.
Fishbulb 6th Apr 2018, 6:54 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
I like this idea. It's the most direct way to determine if there is an entity or a will behind the messages Jane has been getting, and if there is, to force it to reveal itself.
Blue_Elite 6th Apr 2018, 5:59 PM edit delete reply
Yes, spoil Tesla. After everything she's been through, she deserves it.

I was going to recommend we have our rubber gloves with us when exploring this place but we could just use one of those blankets we bought to take the book without touching it (I'm assuming Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem rules where if you physically touch the book, it binds to you; if you cover it in something, it's fine though).

I'm game for at least exploring the place now. With all those various general supplies we've bought, we can just go outside and get some stuff from the motorcycle if needed.
Let's be sure NOT to mention to any staff inside (if any) what exactly we're looking for. If the FBI are scared of the book, I'd rather not let any parties that DO know of the book know that we're looking for it.
Nayru9572 6th Apr 2018, 6:02 PM edit delete reply
I'd say check the place out, but don't try to get to the book just yet. We've got a bit too much luggage for if we need to make a hasty escape.
Also maybe keep someone outside to make sure no one runs off with our bike and supplies. Just because this is inside a dome doesn't mean there aren't any opportunists/ kleptomaniacs/ thrill-seeking teenagers around.
Wote 6th Apr 2018, 6:17 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. Especially on the subject of the last one. Although who to leave outside is a bit of a quandary if things go south inside.
Blue_Elite 6th Apr 2018, 7:42 PM edit delete reply
There'd be no point in having Dr. Finch "guard" the bike. All he'd be able to do is tell us it got stolen. Plus if we run into trouble inside, Dr. Finch isn't going to be able to break the door down.
undeadDreamer 6th Apr 2018, 6:06 PM edit delete reply
Yes we are sure.
Leafia_Barrett 6th Apr 2018, 6:33 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Hmm... I wonder... I guess we may as well look inside, unless we determine that it's best to try to see if the book entity tips its hand if we don't.
chaosblitz 6th Apr 2018, 6:54 PM edit delete reply
Creepy quote strikes again! Let's see if our red can see it this time.
Madd 6th Apr 2018, 7:15 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Check inside ask around and nope the fuck out.