Comic 860 - Ask Lovers for info

Posted on 29th Mar 2018, 8:33 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Ask Lovers for info

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 29th Mar 2018, 8:33 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You attempt to hug Lovers... with your mind.

She doesn't react.

There's definitely something going on with her, but you don't think she's telepathic.

You ask about the Deck--whether there's anyone in specific you might talk to about information, or if there's anyone you need to avoid.

Lovers gives a slight shrug of her shoulders. "We all know a thing or two, here and there. As long as you're not a part of the fascists ruining this country, you should have nothing to fear from any of us. There are other gangs that oppose the Deck, but they have no footing in Southden."

You tell her that, in particular, you're looking for a library--you tell her which dome it's in, and you ask if the documentation she provided might be enough to get to it.

"Oh, that library?

T h a t l i b r a r y

i s a l w a y s o p e n."



What?



"I said: I've never heard of it," she repeats. "I don't spend much time in libraries... or under the domes, if I can help it."

You glance at Caius and Dr. Finch. Neither of them seems to have heard what you heard.

"Those documents, though," she continues, "they should be more than enough to get you into any dome in the country. For all intents and purposes, you're a perfectly legal tourist with full access to public amenities and installations. ...And you're marked as clean, for the places where that's considered an issue."

Comments:

Swagner 29th Mar 2018, 8:49 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Well, that's not foreboding at all. To the library, then!
Archon 29th Mar 2018, 8:52 PM edit delete reply
Well that's ominous. Slightly familiar too.
We meet something that spoke like that before?
Can't remember.

Anyways, suggests that whatever is going on in the library has dug its claws into the people here.
Might want to bring tinfoil hats for the library visit. Just in case.
Baron11704 29th Mar 2018, 8:53 PM edit delete reply
Fuckin <I> what </I>
Baron11704 29th Mar 2018, 8:54 PM edit delete reply
That didn't work
Leafia_Barrett 29th Mar 2018, 8:56 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Use [square brackets].
Madd 29th Mar 2018, 8:56 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Something something magic book full of magically knowledge it's sentient and uses magic of it's own.

Or some entity really wants us to draw from them.

Lets talk to Red about the fuck we just heard.

And lets go head over to Ms. Voclain, I want us to help her.
Leafia_Barrett 29th Mar 2018, 8:58 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Uhhh. Let's just... retreat to the bunker for the moment. I don't think we're in any shape to be tackling this right now, and we already need to get home to be ready for Ms. Voclain.
Wote 29th Mar 2018, 9:08 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. We can deal with the book later.

... Also, I'm still in favor of going after it. Worrying about clearly evil books luring us into a trap is a problem for non-aliens. :P
pkrankow 29th Mar 2018, 9:08 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We already know Lovers is a truth-seeing psychic. It is likely that she also can project as well as read. It takes more effort to project so the words stretched out.
Leafia_Barrett 29th Mar 2018, 10:01 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Actually, turns out she just has super-sensitive hearing!
Blue_Elite 29th Mar 2018, 10:15 PM edit delete reply
Or that we have absolutely terrible poker faces.
Leafia_Barrett 29th Mar 2018, 10:55 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
This was confirmed by MM himself - her mutation is super-sensitive hearing.
pkrankow 30th Mar 2018, 8:39 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I need to read on Discord more. Overwhelming over there...
Swagner 29th Mar 2018, 10:39 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Perhaps she can read lips?
wierdweblurker 29th Mar 2018, 9:11 PM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Whatever force caused that, it doesn't seem to be inherently hostile. Let's visit and see if we can borrow a book.
Twyll 29th Mar 2018, 9:32 PM edit delete reply
I wonder if we can reach out to the entity that's obviously trying to guide us to this book, and like... have a conversation, a cup of metaphysical tea, see what its motives are and ask what it wants from us. Maybe our red knows something, or Mom's red?

Ah well, that's an issue for another day. Time to get ready to talk to Ms. Voclain. We definitely need to ask her for a list of what's in the warehouse, so we can figure out how much we can take and what we need to focus on before we bail her out of there.

And we WILL bail her out of there, because we know what Thale was trying to pull with making her, and fuck. that. noise.
winger 29th Mar 2018, 9:33 PM edit delete reply
took 3 days but i have caught up damn it
Fishbulb 29th Mar 2018, 9:39 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
T h a t i s v e r y c r e e p y.

So at least now Jane and crew have an in to the dome the library is in. Let's wait for Ms. Voclain to call and handle that, then gear up and plan to check out the library after that ordeal is over, since the library is less time sensitive.
LytharWolfe 29th Mar 2018, 9:54 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
Hey so I can't be the only one who's wondering what she meant by "clean", right?
psychoshen 29th Mar 2018, 10:03 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
I assume she meant no criminal record, but I hadn't really thought about it
chaosblitz 29th Mar 2018, 10:03 PM edit delete reply
It probably means "non-mutant" here.
psychoshen 29th Mar 2018, 10:21 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
It has to be pretty late in the day, I vote for the group to rest up, at the bunker or in town and have a crack at the library during normal business hours.

Preferably at home, if someone feels up for driving back. Need to check on everyone and distribute some hugs, maybe be in range to talk to Ms. Volcain in person to convince her to ditch Thale.

We could also check out the backup hideout on the way back through Ilworth.
Blue_Elite 29th Mar 2018, 10:40 PM edit delete reply
On the subject of Ms. Voclain: We should make sure our blood alarm is back in place and to reactivate the phone-bot again soon.

We should also at some point mention to Fuse the book appears to be calling out to us and he's not insane. That or the book or something associated with it is making us ALL insane.
I'll also note right now we should NOT touch the book with bare hands (though we could with bear hands provided they are novelty bear-paw mits). We should bring our rubber gloves with us when we go to the library just in case (we should have brought them when Caius and Finch investigated Bunker E :\ ).
Terrabrand 30th Mar 2018, 5:15 AM edit delete reply
Whatever is going on with this book is... alarming, to say the least.