Comic 846 - Let her know you're listening

Posted on 26th Mar 2018, 9:07 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Let her know you're listening

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 26th Mar 2018, 9:07 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You want to save her.

It could be a trap.

She may have extremely useful information.

Exposing Bunker B's entrance would be a terribly bad idea.

You decide to let her know you're listening as discreetly as possible. You unwrap one of the bandages from the camera. You snake it around the crates so that its approach won't reveal the camera's location. You have the bandage crawl out into the open.

It will let her know you hear her, but without revealing the camera OR the Bunker B entrance. You want to rescue her, but you also feel the need to approach this situation very carefully.

"I see," she says. "I will help you any way that I can, while I can. He is inactive for an hour to four hours each night, but I don't know ahead of time when his mind will shut down. I do know when he is in the process of awakening. I will warn you, and I will leave. If you can find a way to send me messages safely, I will attempt to assist you."

She pauses, staring at the bloody bandage. "Do not try to save me." Her expression doesn't change at all, not in the slightest. Her voice doesn't shift tone, remaining fairly even, almost monotone... but a single tear rolls out from under her glasses and down her cheek. "If you cut his strings on me he will know. He will tear this place to shreds. I am not worth it. I am not physically capable. I am a doll to be stared at. I will live, at most, a few months. Do not risk your position on my behalf. The most you can do to help me is live. Live, and kill your adversary. I will do what I can to facilitate that. He does not pay much mind to this place. Not yet."

Comments:

dasno 26th Mar 2018, 9:22 PM edit delete reply
HAHAHAHAHAHAAaaaa like that has ever stopped us from saving people :P
Fishbulb 26th Mar 2018, 9:28 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
In this case, that might be a bad idea, at least at the moment.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 9:31 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
She says its only a few days before he controls her. That's a problem, because then he knows that we know about the warehouse once he takes her over. Saving her before that happens is a necessity at this point.
Crestlinger 26th Mar 2018, 9:27 PM edit delete reply
Fair enough, we're experienced at life extension enough to negate suicides unless she has Thale's rot already inside her, then she's boned. For now ask her to get her goons to load up that canister and ship it to Cal's hospital (spell it out via bandage signing).
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 9:31 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Confirmed: This is Thale's warehouse.

Getting the door out of the warehouse (and thus out of Thale's reach) is a high priority now.

Let's hear options.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 9:34 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Here's my ideas:

1. Take a hint from Stargate... put a cover across the openings of the doors that opens on our own control mechanism.

2. Blood the doors. We can control things we blood. At that point, we just keep doors closed unless we will them to open.

3. See if we can pull that door into a red portal.

4. Destroy the door somehow.

5. Relocate the door to somewhere nearby outside of Thale's control.
pkrankow 26th Mar 2018, 9:40 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
If the door is "lost" for a few months it is fine so long as it shows up where we need it, whole. It may even function properly while travelling.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 11:40 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I'm less concerned about it being lost, and more concerned about it getting used.
Leafia_Barrett 26th Mar 2018, 9:33 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
yeah no. Lady, we don't turn our back on people. And at any rate, he'll tear this place apart once he finishes oversyncing with you. We'll figure something out, we usually do.
Twyll 26th Mar 2018, 9:34 PM edit delete reply
Hmmm. Can we have our blood go deep-stealth in her? Like, not override Thale's control, maybe even keep it in some sort of sac inside her that we can break when we want to properly blood her? That way, we can avoid arousing suspicion for now, but still have the ability to blood her when she's near the end of those few months, and save her.

EDIT: Just realized the deadline may actually be a few *days* since she's scared of oversync. In that case, we may need to go the full-blooding-in-stealth-mode route, to see if we can essentially get a snapshot of her brain so we can restore it to its prior state if she gets oversynced.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 9:36 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
If we could do the sac thing, maybe when she gets close to Thale before we activate it, sneak in a blood packet somehow and then use her in close vicinity to him to blood him.
Twyll 26th Mar 2018, 10:11 PM edit delete reply
I don't think that would work, sadly. Thale has already demonstrated that if he *knows* somebody is being blooded, he can actively stop it by just rotting off the part of the body that the blood was injected into. Thale might not even have his own body any more-- he might be distributed across all the people he's oversynced.
Blue_Elite 26th Mar 2018, 10:22 PM edit delete reply
That's actually my theory. Thale might not even be human anymore. He may be a presence like we were in, "blood mode," and thus the only way to kill him at this point would be to blood/kill EVERYONE that has ever been Queened or outright given that copied Mars blood.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 11:43 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
That's a definite concern, and I wasn't suggesting because I thought blooding him would stop him, but thinking how much of an advantage to we gain if blood an oversynced Thale? That lets us gain a lot of info. Even if he disintegrates it, if we get the head, we can gain significant knowledge of his inner working before he undoes the process.
Mochi 26th Mar 2018, 9:37 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
drop a note with the number for one of our burner phones through the hole we made in the door crate and use the bandage snake to guide her to it. it's the only way we can talk to her without giving ourselves away.
pkrankow 26th Mar 2018, 9:41 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Just have the bandage spell it out, no note.
Portal In Time 26th Mar 2018, 9:49 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Spelling out the message would be too difficult, and leading her to our crate would compromise our position if Thale learns about this from a sync. A piece of paper is easily overlooked, when gleaming over information - Let's just staple a note to our bloodsnake - but like, drench the bandage in blood, so we can refuel our camera while we're at it.
Blue_Elite 26th Mar 2018, 9:52 PM edit delete reply
We could just have the snake take the note out to her rather than the other way around.
Blue_Elite 26th Mar 2018, 9:41 PM edit delete reply
At least we know we're not under a time crunch now. We can, "nod," the bloodworm in agreement.

We'll need to sneak in a new blood-phone-bot eventually now that we've burned up the current one (and ideally use the new one to feed us back the old one so that we don't leave evidence). Actually, given what happened, if we can have 2 or 3 blood-phone-bots (depending on their battery life) so that we can let the others charge when 1 is active that'd be ideal.

Also don't forget to re-put the blood alarm on the phone and ask Fuse/Finch to make a new signal scrambler. We'll want to have one at a moments notice in case we can get the Tesla canister.
EDIT: And still ask Fuse about sabotaging/"breaking" the crate-side of the Bunker B door. I'd still consider this a win if we could get Ms. Voclain, Tesla, and get out of there with no way for Thale to follow us a win if we never go into the warehouse again (which, if Ms. Voclain can tell us the location, could just mean we never return via that door again).
Portal In Time 26th Mar 2018, 9:44 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
There are a few questions I'd like to ask her:

Are you Thale's only secretary?

Where is this place?

Can you help us relocate some of the items (The canister and The Door) that are stored here?

Do you want to live? Even if it means exposing this place, even if it means cutting Thale off. Do. You. Want. To. Live. Because, we will save you, if you ask.
Cuttlefish 26th Mar 2018, 9:46 PM edit delete reply
If she turns out to be trustworthy, one way we could save her without revealing the door is a very Michelle solution: A frontal assault. We get the location of the warehouse from her, and then battle our way in the front door. We can blood her, get her out of there, and grab the ghost vessel at the same time. We make it look like the ghost vessel is the reason for our interest in the warehouse. With that done, our interest in the warehouse is zilch, and we can sabotage the door from inside the bunker without ever tipping Thale off to our home.
pkrankow 26th Mar 2018, 10:09 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Yes. Location location location
Twyll 26th Mar 2018, 10:12 PM edit delete reply
I wouldn't say our interest in the warehouse is zilch besides the door and ghost vessel-- there could be a *lot* of useful stuff in there-- but those are definitely the most important things.
skybirds15 26th Mar 2018, 10:30 PM edit delete reply
The obvious question is how does she know that. Both the how long to live one and the inactivity one. The living one might be because lab meat, but I thought there was some variation there.

The obvious solution is just to blood her right before she dies. We can sorta copy brains, now. Since she is not worried about doing this, she isn't worried about having a syringe onsite for communication and emergencies, since Thale therefore can't poke through her memories.

If she knows morse, we can talk right now with the bandage and some help from Finch/Fuse.
dasno 26th Mar 2018, 11:27 PM edit delete reply
i think it might be safer to blood her now both for her and us since thale is in 'rest mode' so to speak it is the only real time we can blood his agents without over straining ourselves, and tbh if he is the paranoid nut i think he is (or if i was in his shoes) the first thing i would do every morning after he wakes is do a quick sync with everyone he has blooded to find out what happened while he was out of commission.
rufiangel 26th Mar 2018, 11:52 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Burner phone number go go.