Comic 830 - Pick the teams

Posted on 22nd Mar 2018, 6:21 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Pick the teams

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd Mar 2018, 6:21 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You check on Caius. His head seems to have healed up well enough... and much faster than you expected. You ask him how he's feeling.

"Uh, stir crazy," he answers. "I was ready to suplex some friggen' ghosts last night and I didn't get to. I been sittin' around too long. I'm ready to get somethin' done."

You ask Fuse about his leg.

"It's still good," he says. "I probably shouldn't throw out dragon kicks all willy-nilly, but I didn't mess it up too much."

You consider your goals, your resources, and your limitations--mostly that where you're headed is a very different place than you're used to, and you are very likely wandering into a trap.

You take a deep breath... and assign the teams. Fuse and Michelle will be staying near the bunker, and scouting Ilworth.

"Dammit," Fuse exclaims, then holds his hands up. "No, I get it. I'm a mutant, the leg could be a problem, the green hair would put eyes right on us. It makes sense. I'm just gonna feel like shit if this is a trap and I lured you guys right into it. I need to work on securing that card reader, anyway."

"I still want a motorcycle," Michelle says.

You, Dr. Finch, and Caius will be headed to Southden. Since guns are tightly regulated, Michelle would have her hands tied if she went--but Ilworth should be abandoned, which means no one's around to arrest her if she needs to shoot something. Caius being better at unarmed means he'll be in a better position if the book is a trap.

"We sure we wanna bring Dr. Finch?," Caius asks. "No offense, Doc, but if this IS a trap--"

"I know more about the culture and the laws there than anyone else in this room, I would wager," Dr. Finch states. "I trust you to get us out of that library with the book, Caius. You should trust me to get you there in the first place."

Caius grins, nodding. "Alright, alright. Fair enough."

You ask Michelle and Fuse if they could also make an attempt to contact Lydia and Jury, and let them know what all is going on. You'd like to start looking into finding a place for Zene, Crease, Mav, and Pierce--if they could be safely, legally, and discreetly immigrated, that would be great. If not, you're going to have to figure out how to forge documents.

You might need to do that anyway for Southden.

"Southden's fairly small," Dr. Finch says. "It is a city, technically, but it's nothing like the capital. If we keep our heads down and stay out of trouble, no one should be requesting passports or IDs. With any luck, we can be right in and right out."

Fuse shakes his head. "I wish I could just... go online and print you guys up fake passports, but it's a little harder than that. I'll keep looking into it, but we might have to meet some real shady people if Jury can't hook us up."

"So, tha real question--" Caius begins, "--we buyin' motorcycles, or hot wirin' an old car?"

"Motorcycle singular, perhaps," replies Dr. Finch. "I am most certainly not mounting one of those death traps."

Comments:

BunnyMuffin 22nd Mar 2018, 7:21 PM edit delete reply
I think a motorcycle would be better in this instance. If we hot-wired an old car, and had to make a fast getaway, it could break down at the worst time. Any thoughts, everyone?
Leafia_Barrett 22nd Mar 2018, 7:31 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
If Finch won't get into a motorcycle, then we can't really force him.
Phyco 22nd Mar 2018, 7:37 PM edit delete reply
Well, we actually could force him but it's probably a bad idea.
Phyco 22nd Mar 2018, 7:37 PM edit delete reply
Well, we actually could force him but it's probably a bad idea.
BunnyMuffin 22nd Mar 2018, 8:19 PM edit delete reply
Hmm true. We could get him a scooter if he wants xD he can ride in the side car
Frission 22nd Mar 2018, 10:13 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Somehow I'm seeing Finch in love with a Vespa. Get him one of those big rounded old style bike helmets, goggles to fit over his glasses, and a scarf to go with it. :D
pkrankow 22nd Mar 2018, 7:22 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Mountain bikes. Finch will be satisfied about not a death trap, if Southden is 20 miles, assume 15mph for brisk travel. Hour and 20 to get there.

Yes, get a dirt bike for later.

http://bloodismine.thecomicseries.com/comics/820
20 minute drive, hour and a half walk. 4mph brisk walk makes 6 miles. The road probably loops around some obstacles. This is like 30 minutes or less on a mountain bike following the road and about the same on the walking route, but probably more fun.
pkrankow 22nd Mar 2018, 7:48 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
A decent fixed frame mountain bike is arounf $500-$1000, with many available for half that. Motorcycles start at 5 times that.

The bikes can also fit in a truck or van
Blue_Elite 22nd Mar 2018, 10:03 PM edit delete reply
I'd actually be more partial to a bike over a motorcycle simply due to trying to be incognito. We come in on a motorcycle we'll probably be asked for license/registration/passport etc. We come in on bikes on one is going to care.

That said, I do like the idea of a single motorcycle specifically so Michelle/Fuse can charge to the rescue if necessary from Ilworth.
Twyll 22nd Mar 2018, 7:23 PM edit delete reply
Is Finch alright with riding in a sidecar? :P
Leafia_Barrett 22nd Mar 2018, 7:30 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Aw, come on Finch, the Snowden crew was the one that would have benefitted most from the motorcycle. :<
Crestlinger 22nd Mar 2018, 8:05 PM edit delete reply
Pun on Michelle's arms being tied due to gun regulation hehe.
Proceed as though this Is a trap at all times, better a pleasant surprise than the usual.
Madd 22nd Mar 2018, 9:11 PM edit delete reply
Madd
I think we should fix a car from here, so Matt doesn't have to draw a motorcycle, so Finch isn't on a motorcycle.
undeadDreamer 22nd Mar 2018, 9:28 PM edit delete reply
Finch you'll be fine. Motorcycles aren't anywhere near as dangerous as the things we do every day.
Frission 22nd Mar 2018, 10:09 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Once we can get a hold of Jury, we might see if she can arrange some sort of witness protection thing for our refugees. I don't know if she or her branch has any contacts or pull overseas, but as Matt insinuated, it'd be worth at least attempting official channels before we go straight for human smuggling. >_>;
Blue_Elite 22nd Mar 2018, 10:11 PM edit delete reply
Unless after contacting Lydia/Jury they tell us we can get passports/IDs/drivers license, I don't think we can get away with either a car OR motorcycle without causing suspicion. We really do not want to get asked for credentials.
Bikes, on the other hand, would explain how we got there without needing any license. Though I'm leaning more towards something like a scooter or otherwise motorized bike-like vehicle as I doubt anyone except Michelle and Caius would be able to pedal for an hour or more straight without a break.

We could also see about fixing up a car at Ilworth just to take us half-way there and then bike the rest of the way. We don't have to worry about anyone trying to steal a piece of junk just lying around in the open.
Moopamoop 21st Nov 2018, 3:51 PM edit delete reply
Dr. Finch is all "I know more about the culture than you" but like Finch there is so much more to England than your old Dr. Who classic reruns on PBS could prepare you for you fucking dork.