Comic 787 - Check Willard and the cat

Posted on 8th Mar 2018, 1:24 AM in No Easy Way Out
Check Willard and the cat

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 8th Mar 2018, 1:24 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You gently pat Red.

"Give me a little while," she says. "I'll be alright."

You pull back, and check on Willard in the ritual room. The cultist you were talking to on the phone earlier has descended the ladder, and has just finished talking to the other cultists.

"...And that's why we shouldn't do this ritual. Also, where did this rat come from...?"

"Do not tamper with the rat!," shouts one of the cultists. "The rat is to be left alone," adds another. "His name is Willard," mumbles the woman chained to the pipe.

Lastly, you check on your cat. You don't notice anything extraordinary--nothing has changed outside the church, the cat is fine, there's no--

it takes you a second to spot it. You can't make it out too well, as cat eyes aren't that great at seeing over a distance, however... it definitely looks like a truck, numerous blocks away. The streets of the lower tiers are fairly narrow; the truck's approach is relatively slow, but you believe it's headed toward the church.

The last truck you saw was carrying the Many and the bladed man; however, the bladed man is dead, and the Many is inside the church.

You're not sure what's in that truck.

Comments:

Xylas_Incarnum 8th Mar 2018, 2:09 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
bugging out time, get Willard to leg it back to the cat so they can run away
Twyll 8th Mar 2018, 2:14 AM edit delete reply
Right, time to let the cultists know. Presumably they have some way of fighting off whatever their newfound enemy has in store for them. Either that, or a way of evacuating-- which might be the better plan, honestly.

Also, we should tell them that we require Zene's mom (I assume we know her actual name) as "tribute." Presumably, that will cause her to come with us willingly, at least to the border of the Many's influence... which, argh, I just realized we don't have anyone nearby who can blood her to make it so we can get her farther than that without her trying to run or kill us. Can we fly a vial of blood down real quick? Will it get there in time?

And of course, we need the hostages to be released. If they need justification, say that it would complicate any battle that might break out with Enyo to have non-members hanging around, but we don't want to just off them because they could be useful in the future.
Twyll 8th Mar 2018, 2:17 AM edit delete reply
We might just want to go ahead and have them blood themselves using the bits of Red on the floor (do the ol' stab-in-the-hand-and-rub-it-in maneuver) in expectation of needing to marshal them quickly. It might be overwhelming to us to have so many people join at once, though, and it might not be great to have so many people join our bloodmind at once; so I'm not sure whether we should or not.
Twyll 8th Mar 2018, 2:19 AM edit delete reply
...Oh, I'm dumb, that's how we can blood Zene's mom. We should request that she do that immediately, at least. Whether or not we ask the other cultists also to do it, I leave up for debate; but I do think Zene's mom should be asked to blood herself and leave.
FlockPack 8th Mar 2018, 2:52 AM edit delete reply
FlockPack
I agree, just not in the hand! There are way too many delicate nerves there. It's too likely they lose the movement of their hand, which, in the long run, might cause big problems.
Swagner 8th Mar 2018, 10:29 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
Considering that the church and the StQ distribution were linked, I'd be surprised if there were no syringes around.
lil Joshu 8th Mar 2018, 7:16 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Twyll,
Likely they get blooded or are dead at this point. Further, Zene's mom is one of them. Further, they ALL have intel that we have some connection with animals, meaning we lose solid advantage if any of them doesn't get blooded and lets that info out. Tactically, we have to blood them all.
Blue_Elite 8th Mar 2018, 3:05 AM edit delete reply
We do not, in fact, know Zene's mom's name. It's been brought up a number of times in the comments but somehow, we always get too busy to just ask Crease/Zene.
It's the Jane Doe incident all over again.
FlockPack 8th Mar 2018, 3:15 AM edit delete reply
FlockPack
Let's get Crease to realize he does not know Jane's name, because everyone just calls her blondie, and check the computer for her name, just in case.

And put Red into the bed, tucking her in.
Guost 8th Mar 2018, 2:33 AM edit delete reply
Perhaps Thale has realized his error and that truck is meant to retrieve the Many.
Blue_Elite 8th Mar 2018, 3:10 AM edit delete reply
While the cultists might not be our ally at the moment, they're not our enemy either. We should inform them via the call that we see a truck coming and suspect it might be Thale making his move.
We should also ask if they had any plans in place in case this scenario happened.
Memo 8th Mar 2018, 3:28 AM edit delete reply
Memo
We should warn the cultists.
Do we want to mention to the cultists that they can use the blood to make them imune to Thales influence?
They could test it on the bystanders Zene's mom first.
It would make things easier, but we would significantly expand our flock.
(And there is The Many to consider)
Nayru9572 8th Mar 2018, 4:45 AM edit delete reply
Could we ask them to have Zene's mom (ask her name from her family if needed) carry our rat out through a back room? Ask them about the tied up woman as well. And if she's not some kind of danger, let them release her and the man. Ask everything politely, of course.
lil Joshu 8th Mar 2018, 6:12 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
EVERYONE, thanks to them pulling our red through, that's OUR Blood on the floor! Tell everyone to take some, syringe themselves with it (maybe drink some if they don't have syringes, maybe that'll work?)It'll prevent Thale from messing with them agian, and then get the heck out of dodge before that truck gets there and likely brings the whole building down! Hurry!
pkrankow 8th Mar 2018, 8:02 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Yes, warn them about the truck. If asked how use something like "borrowed eyes see..." or "My informents say..." or something.

If bloodied via knife will work, recommend the arm as less chance of major damage. Ingesting was stated as inefficient for getting "pets"
Madd 8th Mar 2018, 3:04 PM edit delete reply
Madd
They already know we have animals under our control, in fact they thought Thale does as well.
Leafia_Barrett 8th Mar 2018, 10:30 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
I don't know how well blooding themselves on the organic slurry left behind will work - is that blood or just goop?

Warn the cultists, oh dear god warn the cultists. Ask them if the liquid on the ground is blood or just gunk. Also put Red on the bed. It probably won't do anything but it just seems like the Jane thing to do.
Swagner 8th Mar 2018, 11:02 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
Warn the cultists about the truck, try to get them to blood themselves, and (unless I missed us already learning this at some point), I'd ask them what they know about the Many.
Madd 8th Mar 2018, 3:02 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Tuck Red into bed, get the cultists to blood themselves if the stuff on the floor is our blood or would work as such, and don't forget to warn them to get out of there, or go deeper into the bunker
PurpleKetchup 8th Mar 2018, 5:04 PM edit delete reply
I'm pretty stoked how Red handled that situation. She's way better at making human parts than Jane was the first time around. Also glad Willard made it in one piece.

Any way to quickly sponge off the fresh red from the floor ? I don't think leaving it for Thale (and Carpenter, specifically) doesn't sit well with me.
pkrankow 8th Mar 2018, 6:17 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Giant carpet blood golem!