Comic 760 - Ask about the device

Posted on 22nd Feb 2018, 11:46 PM in No Easy Way Out
Ask about the device

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd Feb 2018, 11:46 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You describe the device to the others, and ask their opinion about it.

"That's a motion detector on the front," Fuse says. Fuse and Dr. Finch are watching the camera's feed from the lab computer. "Rich people get them for security--they usually do stuff like face and body recognition, so the owner of the house doesn't trigger 'em. They're usually tied to, like, alarms... that's one bigger than I'm used to, though."

"Yo, that's a gun," Michelle says from outside. "That's straight up turret housing."

You tell Michelle what Fuse said, and visa versa. Michelle nods. "Yeah, if it detects movement it prob'ly checks if you're on the safe list, and opens fire if you're not. Security and pest control all in one."

Fuse thinks about it for a second, then shakes his head. "Hacking it would be... hard, I think. Not without being able to slap something on it, or figure out where it's wired to--if it's even wired to anything. Might just have a small database plugged into it, like a USB or something. Could have systems in place in case of tampering, too--if they bothered to go this far, it wouldn't shock me if it sends out some kinda signal on being messed with."

You consider Michelle's statement--about pest control. You don't see any rat corpses or the like around, not even dead roaches. No bullet holes, either--it doesn't look like the gun's ever fired in this room. You point this out.

"There must not be too many ways into that facility, then," Dr. Finch states. "The warehouse may be isolated from the outside... subterranean, perhaps, or with extensive outer security."

You mention this to Michelle. "Rats might be too fast for it," she says. "If the gun ain't exposed, that means it's gotta come out, warm up, whatever. If you're fast enough, you could prob'ly get to cover or outta its range before it starts firin'. ...That's not a suggestion, I was just thinkin' out loud. Don't do that."

You communicate this to Fuse and Dr. Finch.

"That... is a possibility," Dr. Finch says. "It may not be that rodents can't get in, they may just be quick enough to outmaneuver the turret."

"If it's tied to an alarm, though, that'd still be a problem," Fuse adds. "It might not just be a gun. What's weirding me out is... is that really it? No guards running around, just one turret?"

"It may be a last line of defense," Dr. Finch comments. "She may well have stepped through the back door, so to speak--whatever structure may be attached to the warehouse portion could have far more impressive security."

Fuse nods, getting it. "You don't put traps in a vault, you put them in front of it. Nobody's supposed to get that far in the first place. ...So they really don't know about the magic door, or they wouldn't have left it there."

Comments:

Leafia_Barrett 23rd Feb 2018, 12:19 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Alright, so we now know what's over here. Let's back off and explore the other direction(s), making quadruple-sure not to set off the big angry gun machine.
Portal In Time 23rd Feb 2018, 12:21 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Let's cut out a sliver of a bandage and have it move up the wall like some blood-drenched snake. Assuming The Blood's surface tension is enough to keep the bandage sticking to the wall, we could cover up the camera connected to the turret, effectively disabling it.

Unless there's some sort of video feed...

Screw it, let's cover up the camera.
Madd 23rd Feb 2018, 1:29 AM edit delete reply
Madd
TThat's a bad idea, it's likely a turret and an alarm, if we set it off or cover it over it'll try to shoot and set off an alarm, we'll have to find a way around.
BunnyMuffin 23rd Feb 2018, 2:04 AM edit delete reply
Could we blood a bug of some kind? Like a fly or something, so small that the motion sensor wouldn’t realize it was there. We can be a fly on the wall!
Madd 23rd Feb 2018, 12:50 AM edit delete reply
Madd
Potentially these guy are neutral, lets assume they're neutral to our cause but hostile to intruder's like us and search around the place more.

Try to locate some ways around the rest of the facility, I want us to be able spy on them and find out who they are.
Blue_Elite 23rd Feb 2018, 1:31 AM edit delete reply
If that's the end of the left side, explore right (still carefully).
Twyll 23rd Feb 2018, 1:48 AM edit delete reply
How big would the thing be that Fuse would need to slap on it? Could we have a small critter-- perhaps to small to trigger the sensor-- take the hacking device to it? Not that I think it's a good idea to try to hack it any time soon, but something to think about.

Yeah, for now, let's check the other direction.
Nayru9572 23rd Feb 2018, 2:04 AM edit delete reply
Yeah let's go to the right. Also, check to make sure we're not leaving any traces behind.
Blue_Elite 23rd Feb 2018, 5:01 PM edit delete reply
I'm pretty sure we'd notice if we were leaving Templar mages with turquoise hair behind. X3
Memo 23rd Feb 2018, 5:42 AM edit delete reply
Memo
Let's continue exploring, without activating the cam-gun.
And look for some sort af large door or gate. These boxes clearly didn't come in through that door.
pkrankow 23rd Feb 2018, 7:29 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Go back and explore another direction.

Are we drawing a map as we go? Might be helpful later. We probably will be back here eventually. If nothing else a portable door...