Comic 728 - Go get Fuse

Posted on 8th Jan 2018, 6:48 PM in No Easy Way Out
Go get Fuse

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 8th Jan 2018, 6:48 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
For now, you just focus on trying to put as much distance between you and whatever was in that truck as possible.

It's silent in the hummer, for a bit. Michelle is the first to speak up.

"Okay, what the hell was that?"

You tell her that you were going to ask the same thing. You were sort of out of it for a bit there.

"I kept hearing a bunch of stuff... in my head," Zene says.

"So did I," his father adds. "The two of you pulled up, and we were told to get in. There was... some kind of mutant."

"Yeah!," Zene says. "With like, sword hands." He looks at Michelle. "You tried to shoot him, but your aim was all screwed up. He cut you, but we slipped past him. ...And then we started... tryin' to kill each other...?"

There's another lingering quiet. Michelle sits back in her seat.

"The voices in my head... they were arguin', but once they started agreein' on stuff... I couldn't stop. It was like... instinct, like reachin' for your wallet and knowin' it's gonna be there. I didn't even think--I couldn't, there was too many voices."

You ask Michelle to text Lydia, and ask about psychics. You have a strong suspicion you're going to need to prepare for that next time. Michelle starts fishing her cell phone out of the floorboard, and you turn the hummer toward Blaine Cybermedical to pick up Fuse.

You check on Dr. Finch, and Caius, and make sure everything's alright on their front.

"I'll admit, I was becoming concerned for a moment," Dr. Finch states. "There was this... odd sense of discomfort that washed over me. Caius felt it, as well."

"Not as bad as what tha doctor was talkin' about," Caius adds. "Like, I kinda felt it, I guess? Like a weird... offness."

"It felt like my insides didn't know what to do with themselves," Dr. Finch concludes. "Do you know that sensation when someone asks about the position of your tongue, and you suddenly aren't sure how it naturally sits in your mouth? Or when someone mentions your breathing, and you become self conscious about the rate at which you in and exhale? It was... similar to that. I became very aware of my organs for a bit."

You pull up to Blaine Cybermedical. While Michelle texts Lydia, you do first aid on Michelle. The cut across her chest isn't bad, at least not compared to the injuries your group usually runs into.

While you work on that, Zene and his dad talk.

"So... a cult, huh?"

"Yeah," Zene says. "They're tryin' to take over the city, and it goes all the way to the top. That sword dude back there? That's the kinda stuff they're doin'. These guys--" Zene motions to you and Michelle, "they're tryin' to stop it."

"I feel..." his dad pauses, "I feel like this may all be a tad too big for me."

"Oh, buddy," Michelle says with a dry smile, "you dunno the half of it."

"And..." Zene's father says, still trying to take it all in, "you say your mother's wrapped up in this mess...?"

Zene nods. "It's that creepy church she works for. They're in on the whole thing."

Once you're done patching up Michelle, you enter Blaine Cybermedical to retrieve Fuse. You have to wait a little bit, but not long; he's finished shortly, and the two of you start heading back to the hummer. As Fuse steps out the door, however, he stops--his focus drawn to the top of a nearby building.

"Uhhh... I miss something? That one of ours?"

You follow his gaze, looking to where he's looking. You don't see it, at first--you look right past it. After focusing harder, however, you notice the bandaged man with the bladed limbs crouched atop the building, looming down at you all.

Watching.

Waiting.

Comments:

rufiangel 8th Jan 2018, 7:25 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
ARGHFHGJFHFHG

I don't know if running away is all that effective if we're just gonna lead this guy to our hideout. Is he one of the psychics messing with us or is he just swordhands? Frigging blah. Should we just confront him head on?
LytharWolfe 8th Jan 2018, 7:27 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
We can't run back to our hideout no. And maybe the psychic IS swordhands.

No saying you only get one mutation.
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 7:29 PM edit delete reply
We need to figure out how easily he's keeping up with us. Do we still have ravens we can try to tail him with and see if we can break away long enough to lose him?

I don't like our odds in a fight right now, especially since we don't know how far behind our friends with the psychic static are.
Twyll 8th Jan 2018, 7:51 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, if we can surveil *him* while he's tailing us, we might be able to use that to our advantage to shake him. I'd say we could even use it to set up an ambush, but we're not really ambush-ready at the moment, what with Zene and his dad and also Fuse just being done with surgery.
rufiangel 8th Jan 2018, 8:43 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Yeah, all fair points; I guess keep our scoped pistol at the ready but try and shake him off because seriously, confrontation should be a last resort.

@Lythar: Yep, that's what I was meaning. Like he's definitely swordhands, but is he *also* one of the psychics? :P
pkrankow 8th Jan 2018, 7:25 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Ammo check: dartgun?

Follow up with some drug habit questions about mom and dad, determine if there is any real chance the "Patton Thale" test is not working.

Blindfolds and base, especially since we would rather not blood Dad.

Edit:Good point abouut how swordhands is keeping up. Try loosing him or select a better spont to confront him.
wierdweblurker 8th Jan 2018, 7:28 PM edit delete reply
...Lure the f*cker down here, and let's see how good that combat-grade leg is.
Alternatively, we could just shoot him. If you don't want to have fun.
Mochi 8th Jan 2018, 7:31 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
FLIP HIM OFF.

THEN SHOOT HIM.

fuck this motherfucker, who does he think he is? batman?

edit: BETTER IDEA. SET HIM ON FIRE.

edit2: in all seriousness, wote raises some very good points and i'm with him on handling this logically rather than pulling some dumb shit. ... aside from flipping him off, we should totally do that. that would be quite satisfying.
undeadDreamer 8th Jan 2018, 7:32 PM edit delete reply
NONONONONONONONO. If it gets close try to shoot it and kill it with fire. It might be influencing perception and Fuse is a mutant so that might give him an advantage. Ask if it could give him an advantage and if it could Fuse gets a gun and level. If we have a way to get out of it's line of sight we should do it and hide.
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 7:34 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Try to snipe that fucker with our pistol, or lure him down here and hit him with blood darts. Have Fuse hold him down with the combat leg so he doesn't kill himself before we get control.
undeadDreamer 8th Jan 2018, 7:34 PM edit delete reply
If that thing can be hit with a blood dart hit it.
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 7:36 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Have the ravens pester him from a safe distance.
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 7:44 PM edit delete reply
If we have a raven nearby, we need to see about getting mobile again and quickly and get some eyes in the sky following our new friend. He's tailing us and we need to know how, because if there's a way to break line of sight with him—and it looks like he's using his eyes to trace us—then we can get away from him without giving away our base.
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 8:02 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Also lets lose swerve around alleys and shit and lose this fucker before heading back to base.