Comic 727 - Leave the area

Posted on 8th Jan 2018, 2:56 AM in No Easy Way Out
Leave the area

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 8th Jan 2018, 2:56 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You check on Zene, and try to figure out where he is from the context. It looks like he and his dad didn't get much further than the back of the restaurant. You speed toward that direction, trying to fight off the intrusive thoughts.

"It sounds like me," Michelle says, gripping at the fabric of her pants. "Like... that's what you sound like, when you do it--like it's my thoughts, but when it's you I know it's you. This is... this is somethin' else."

You should stop. No. You should get out. They don't want you. It's too much. It's frustrating. Confusing? It would make them stronger, though. They want to be stronger. They could be so much more powerful if they added you to their collection. You would like that. You would be stronger, too, with them. One. You should definitely do that, join them. They're starting to agree now.

You tighten the grip on the steering wheel. You find yourself trying to turn the hummer around. You look into the rear view mirror. You're back in your old nurse uniform, your hair a blood red.

"STOP LISTENING TO YOUR BRAIN!," you scream at yourself.

"It's not you! YOU ARE NOT YOUR BRAIN! It's vestigial, you don't need it! You don't have to do what it tells you!"

The streets are meat. A thousand eyes shine down on you. Muscle tenses beneath the wheels of your vessel.

You continue to shout at yourself in the mirror. "You're immune to Queen, you're not immune to psychic intrusion! It's giving orders to your brain, but you can control your body without it! There's... there's a lot of them, but... you... you can f... you can fight it."

You swallow roughly, trying to keep the blood from spilling out of your mouth. Your hands shake. It feels like playing tug of war with an army. And then suddenly

it starts to fade.

It burns throughout your head, everything slipping back to reality--not all at once, but quickly, things rushing back into the way they are.

You feel the barrel of a pistol pressed to your temple. Michelle drops the gun with a gasp. She has a bleeding gash across her chest, but it doesn't look that deep.

In the back seat, Zene and his dad let go of each other's throats, looking confused and concerned.

You feel sore, and tired, even though you don't think you've done that much today. You're not even sure where you're driving at this point--you're at least four or five blocks away from where you were, the fast food place far behind you.

Comments:

Portal In Time 8th Jan 2018, 3:25 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
We need to not be here right now. Let's head back over to our base, bring Dad in for interrogation, and get Lydia working on researching psychics - STAT.

Whenever things have calmed down more, I'd really like to do this again. Our blood parallel-processing leaves much to be desired, and clearly it's going to be necessary, in the future.

You're one hell of a story teller, Morgenstern :0
rufiangel 8th Jan 2018, 3:26 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Holy smokes, that was intense. >___>

Okay, if I understand this correctly, Jane was temporarily her Red, entirely, for a while in order to free herself from the influence; she had to momentarily block out her human side. Yikes. Yikes.

This one is so incredibly dangerous. It looks like whatever was causing that interference though, is something that has a range. Keep flooring it until we're a very good distance away, and then first-aid Michelle.

If we take Zene and his dad back to the bunker with us, we have to awkwardly blindfold them, I think. ~_~

Man, we need some time to really recover from that one, though. Michelle in particular - she was this close to killing Jane. Holy smokes.
PurpleKetchup 8th Jan 2018, 1:44 PM edit delete reply
Well, just her human brain. Good thing Red is nice enough to keep Jane's human values up while her wetware is busy getting hijacked by Carpenter's latest stunt.

Quick checkup time. Who's covered in whose blood exactly ?
Auron 8th Jan 2018, 3:35 AM edit delete reply
Red you glorious eldritch abomination.
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 3:48 AM edit delete reply
At least we have some idea of where we are. But, yeah, we need to make sure we've got some distance behind us, gather any of our strays, and maybe consider taking a vacation somewhere not-here. Or, at minimum, retreating somewhere we know our apparently psychically activated enemies can't get to us while we sort out what happened, who's hurt, and how traumatized these poor guys are now.

... We should probably also say hi to Zene's dad while we're driving. And let him know that we don't think badly of him for the whole attempted filicide thing.
Golden_Eagle 8th Jan 2018, 6:12 AM edit delete reply
Holy shit. That was really intense. Thank goodness for Red.

First, we need to get to the bunkers but try to stay as far away from the monster as we can. Get Fuse on the way if his cyborg leg is done. I think Zene and his dad should be blindfolded just in case.

Then we need to talk with Red, Mum's Red, and Dr Finch to try to figure out what the heck just happened. Maybe try to contact Grizwald and Lydia too- he did know about Nil, after all.

A little rest would also be great because everyone came real close to killing each other, and that's pretty traumatising. First aid, too.

Well, at least Zene knows for sure now how bad things will be if he sticks around with them. How old is Zene?
pkrankow 8th Jan 2018, 9:07 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Old enough to reach the pedals is what I got. So teen, not adult. Likely 14 to 16.
Golden_Eagle 8th Jan 2018, 10:17 AM edit delete reply
Wow, yeah, he's too young to deal with all this.
Memo 8th Jan 2018, 6:15 PM edit delete reply
Memo
I agree with all of this!
Maybe wait for Fuse to be done, and then go to the bunker, instead of going back and forth.
That will also give us a minute to find our bearings, not to mention greet Zene's dad, and tell him a bit about what is going on.
Crestlinger 8th Jan 2018, 12:27 PM edit delete reply
Fugue state for the win. Hug Red once we're ourselves again. Practice this in a safe environment and get Everyone to Mars Pronto. Then rest.
Explain things fully to Zene and his father, they're in this for keeps now that whatever that was has identified them as targets as well.
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 2:11 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Hug red, hug Zene, hug Zene's dad, hug everyone.
Golden_Eagle 8th Jan 2018, 3:10 PM edit delete reply
Jane hugs everyone so much that it'd be strange for her not to.

What if her hugs are the only thing keeping everyone sane?
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 12:53 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Head back to base, we can discuss how to get Zene's mom out tomorrow.

I really hope we find that armory really fucking soon, because I don't want a head on assault on the mother's place to find out they are ready for us with psychics like that again.

We need to research psychics right the fuck now, find out ways to block them while we get his mom out.
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 3:34 PM edit delete reply
I'm honestly not sure his mom's a doable goal right now. Like, she's apparently high profile among the people who think we're literally Turbo-Satan, who now probably also believe we've compromised our best ins to get to her. Bare minimum, we'd need to know what just happened and how it was done.

As far as psychic research goes, I maintain our best bet is to get some at-home geometry lessons and give future threats some hostile metaphysical topography to deal with.
pkrankow 8th Jan 2018, 5:45 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Yes, psychic defence is becoming much more important. Maybe our people at the bunker can start looking into this.
Frission 8th Jan 2018, 3:11 PM edit delete reply
Frission
I still think we need to make tinfoil hats a permanent part of our inventory and try that next time this happens.