Comic 726 - Grab Zene and his dad, bail

Posted on 8th Jan 2018, 12:41 AM in No Easy Way Out
Grab Zene and his dad, bail

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 8th Jan 2018, 12:41 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
A bone-like blade shoves its way through the top of the truck trailer.

"Nevermind," Michelle says, "they are totally that dumb."

This is not a fight you need to participate in. You back the hummer enough, you spin it around, and you start driving away. In the rear view mirror, you see a hunched over figure in bandages--with what look like blades coming out of his arm stumps--crawl out of the top of the trailer, and leap the distance to the roof of the fast food place.

You send a message to Zene, asking where he is--and recommending that his dad call the police. Michelle is already starting to dial Jury's number.

"I... I can't--" Zene and his father are in an alley, somewhere--presumably nearby--and Zene is almost having a panic attack. "You're tellin' me too much, I dunno know what to do--!"

You slow it down, trying to calm him. You ask where he is.

"It's too... it's too much...!"

Michelle turns and stares at you for a moment.

"Are... are you doin' that?," she asks.

You start to ask what she means, when--

you hear it too.

In your head.

Your voice.

It's faint.

It tells you to stop the vehicle.

Turn it back around.

Get out of the hummer.

Drive the hummer into a building.

Take the gun.

Shoot Michelle.

Shoot yourself.

Drive away.

Keep driving.

Drive forever.

Michelle winces, throwing her phone into the floorboard. "Jury ain't answerin' and this is... real... uuuaaggh I can't even hear myself think! What the hell IS that?!"

Comments:

Xylas_Incarnum 8th Jan 2018, 12:56 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Shit they're piggybacking the mental communication whatever, we should get some aluminum knit caps.
wierdweblurker 8th Jan 2018, 1:01 AM edit delete reply
Oooookay. First, Ima comment on the illogical nature of driving after shooting yourself. Could the Queen we were injected with at the start be getting more effective? No matter. Assume direct control of your companions. Zene shoots his dad (blood, not bullets), Michelle drives to the back entrance, you pick them both up. Get far away (perhaps Mars far) and take a dive into your memories to find out where the voice in your head (that isn't us) is coming from.
Portal In Time 8th Jan 2018, 1:17 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. We have to find some way to resist them, it's the best possible thing to do. There might be something keeping them from completely overthrowing us, maybe it could be the metal in the car, I don't know. We need to resist them, and we need to run. The hell. Away.

I have my reserves, because of Zene and his dad, but this could very much be a life or death situation for us.

Fuck.
Espylacopa 8th Jan 2018, 1:22 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
No time to play nice with whatever this is. Take full control, at least temporarily, and get Zene, father of Zene, Michelle and yourself the hell out of here. If you want it more your desire should be dominant over whatever is doing this.
Mochi 8th Jan 2018, 1:36 AM edit delete reply
Mochi
i'm with you. real commands should be able to break through, because real commands can't be ignored. as long as we're commanding zene to do something he actually wants to do (i'd be hard pressed to believe he wouldn't want to get the fuck away from this place) then we should be able to get them out of here.

jane's control is absolute. she can't be ignored. whatever this bullshit is is just a cheap imitation. they're not real orders.
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 1:42 AM edit delete reply
Madd
I agree, grab our peeps and get the fuck out of here, this shit is not our job. Lets not stick around to find out what the fuck else is in there.
rufiangel 8th Jan 2018, 2:15 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Yeah, I'm with this too. I'd like to think that knowing what it is (if we have to get Red out to help define what's going on, let's do that) will break its hold over us, or at least lessen its influence enough for us to overpower it with sheer force of will. Like, no way in heck are we going to let them take *us* over, or our friends. It's 'our' voice someone is imitating, but our *real* voice should override it by FAR. You can do it, Jane!
Frission 8th Jan 2018, 1:22 AM edit delete reply
Frission
Everyone, get to the kitchen, get foil, make foil hats, NOW! D:
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 1:27 AM edit delete reply
It sounds to me like this is more like mental static than an attempt to usurp actual control. Otherwise, we wouldn't be getting orders to kill ourselves *and* drive.

So, first things first. Jane needs to try and throw it off. We know that beings like her operate on levels that are at least adjacent to whatever's doing this, so with any luck, telling these intrusive thoughts to sod off should be enough because, quite frankly, she's probably *way* bigger than who or whatever's pulling this crap.

Then, we'll figure out how to do it again with everyone else.
Memo 8th Jan 2018, 1:35 AM edit delete reply
Memo
This seems more like psychic control than blood control.
We never established that tinfoil hats actually had an effect.
I agree with taking full control of Zene, bloodshoot his dad, give Michelle level effect to help her focus, go pick up father and son, and then get the hell out.
I'm fairly confident range is a factor for that kind of control.

And when all this is done, we really need to have finch look into defenses for mind control.
Blue_Elite 8th Jan 2018, 2:06 AM edit delete reply
If it is a psychic attack, overloading it might work by syncing everyone with each other. Or our "split mental strain" trick might weaken the attack by splitting the strain with the party members that aren't at this location (though those ideas might technically be one and the same).
Blue_Elite 8th Jan 2018, 1:52 AM edit delete reply
Try putting that meditation practice to use and see if you can get in contact with Red. At the very least if you can regain control of yourself you can at least paralyze the others until you get things sorted out.

If that doesn't work, try "speaking" over "your voice." Maybe the classic, "La, la, la, I'm not listening!" will work if you can drown it out.

If all else fails, try seeing if it's possible to "shut off" our blood abilities. If whatever this is is using our ability against us, maybe turning it off (or down so much that it's functionally off) will break the voice.
Maybe even look into purging our blood from Michelle to see if that does anything. Given the circumstances that might require violence in order to be quick enough (then again, ejecting our blood from the bandage wound might suffice).
Auron 8th Jan 2018, 2:00 AM edit delete reply
We can say sorry later this is an emergency. Level yourself and try to ignore the commands. Take direct control of everyone you can to keep it from controlling them.
lil Joshu 8th Jan 2018, 12:01 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Can we give a blood command to not hear piggy-backed blood commands?