Comic 607 - Find a tight alley

Posted on 21st Nov 2017, 8:00 PM in Ghosts
Find a tight alley

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.67 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Nov 2017, 8:00 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
The black vehicle continues to accelerate, forcing your car and Michelle's vehicle to pick up speed to compensate. You ask if Fuse could possibly burn out the tires of the pursuing vehicle.

"From this distance?," Fuse asks. "I don't wanna risk it while everybody else is in the c--"

The car shakes as the black vehicle's front bumper barely connects with the back of your car. It's not enough pressure to stop you entirely, but it does take you a second to course correct. You accelerate harder, but your car can only go so fast.

"Level me."

You level Fuse. Fuse rolls down the window, leaning out just far enough to get a decent view. One of the black vehicle's tires lights up



and then... unceremoniously unlights, the flames sputtering out as quickly as they appeared. Fuse pulls back into the car.

"Uhh... guys?"

"Fuggen... heat resistant tires?," Caius speculates. "If that's happenin' there's no way they packed 'em on accident."

The vehicle starts to catch up again, drawing dangerously close. In a last ditch effort you hard turn into a nearby alleyway, just barely big enough for your car. The walls of the adjacent buildings scrape across your door as you speed through the entrance, but once you stabilize you continue forward.

You check quickly on Michelle--the black vehicle shouldn't be chasing her, since the canister is in your car.

And yet, the vehicle is now hot on Michelle's tail, and quickly catching up. Michelle's truck seems to have a higher top speed than your car does, and with the roads mostly empty of traffic at this time of night, Michelle maintains a cautious lead.

The passenger side window of the tailing vehicle rolls down. A man in a red suit leans out, fires a scoped pistol, then ducks back out of sight. Michelle ducks at the last second, the bullet penetrating her back window and continuing on through the front windshield, but it doesn't hit her.

You inform everyone what's going on.

"Holy shit," Fuse says. "That doesn't sound like the feds."

"Tha red suit sounds like Shirai's business," Caius states, "but if it ain't lab meat then I don't know who tha hell it is. She bought a hummer, I guess, and heat retardant wheels... maybe she hired a friggen hitman."

You alternate as much as you can between focusing on driving and checking on Michelle.

"That pistol was legit," Michelle says, slightly panicked. "Like, I didn't get a great look but that was professional. That ain't a home defense kinda gun."

You ask Dr. Finch and Fuse how close they are to getting the signal worked out.

"Close," Dr. Finch says. "Very, very close, it should be... YES! Yes." He passes a small device to Fuse, who starts wiring and screwing together some series of items. "We almost got it," Fuse says.

Comments:

rufiangel 21st Nov 2017, 9:04 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I knew the car was going to keep chasing after Michelle if we split up, I knew it, dammit :'DDD

Uhm, if Michelle's cool with it, maybe we can level her out slightly so she doesn't lose her cool even with a hitman with a legit pistol driving behind her.

Do we need to give chase to the car that was giving us chase now? -_-a Can we explode things next to the car as opposed to the car itself so it can be buried in rubble?
Can we have our raven go drop smoke bombs on the car? I dunnooooo

Friggin' Shirai. -_-
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 9:44 PM edit delete reply
Shirai is the worst always, but in her defense, I think hiring a hitman to kill us is the least stupid thing she's done in the entirety of this story!
Mochi 21st Nov 2017, 9:56 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
you have a point! considering her past plans this is startlingly competent.
Guest 22nd Nov 2017, 12:43 AM edit delete reply
We really, really need to get in touch with her.
Mochi 21st Nov 2017, 9:34 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
okay so... michelle is going to have to lose them, and also stay alive while she does. that's basically the core of any plan we could possibly come up with, i'd think.

we have a few options as far as what to do. as they're clearly not interested in the canister (or if they are, they haven't realized it's not in the pickup, which -- let's be fair -- would make more sense than our tiny yellow car) we could loop around behind them and try to take out the dude in the passenger seat next time he pops out to shoot at michelle. if they have fireproof tires, they have bulletproof glass, so we're not going to be able to return fire with any sort of effectiveness unless we have a clear target.

another option we have would be to use one of the burner phones we just picked up and call shirai. i'm sure caius knows her number. we could try and extend an olive branch, so to speak, and tell her we have information for her, and if she wants it, she'll call off whoever she has on us. it probably won't work, but it's also probably worth a try. she can even have her toy back, if she wants it, as long as she doesn't let edison out.

either way, michelle needs to work on losing them. i trust in her skills, and also her tenacity.

edit: alternatively, we just do all this all at once.
rufiangel 21st Nov 2017, 10:20 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Sure, loopin 'round and trying to get a clear shot of Red Suit sounds like the best plan we've got at the moment. I wish there was a way to protect Michelle more thoroughly while we do that, though ;___; she nearly died just now... what can we doooo

EDIT: If we actually call Shirai I'd suggest Caius do it - he somewhat knows her best, Jane is driving and the other two are busy scrambling, so...
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 9:47 PM edit delete reply
If fuse can target a tire, he can target a goon. I doubt the goons are fire resistant. Lets catch back up to the chase!
Swagner 21st Nov 2017, 10:21 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Yeah. Even if he can't target the driver (although that would be ideal), he can probably target the guy leaning out the window.
Espylacopa 22nd Nov 2017, 12:43 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
It'd be a short window of opportunity as it seems that guy didn't lean out any longer than the bare minimum to take his shot.
Deadly Death Sickle 21st Nov 2017, 11:53 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
Ask fuse if he can try to get the hood on fire, or if possible behind the grill (plating on the front of car with slots in it)
Blue_Elite 22nd Nov 2017, 12:58 AM edit delete reply
Remember that our vehicle is slower so we'll have to get Michelle to drive to us.

With that in mind, we could try to setup an ambush of our own (for once). We can use a raven for an aerial view and guide Michelle like a GPS.
We don't necessarily have to do anything to the vehicle. Either blinding the driver OR removing the tire's traction would do the trick (the vehicle looks strong enough it can probably withstand a standard impact accident).
Think we could arrange throwing a dumpster in the way? If the impact doesn't stop the vehicle hopefully the trash would be blinding enough.

EDIT: To elaborate, if we use the raven we'd both be able to guide Michelle and advise her when she can go all-out on speed to put as much distance between her and the black car. Then we (by which I mean Caius, cause muscle) shove the dumpster in the path of the black car. Hopefully that'll distract them long enough for Michelle to get away, us to get away, and finally get back to the bunker.
Otherwise I guess we could try shooting the tires. I'd assume if they're fire-proof they're also bullet resistant.
Guest 22nd Nov 2017, 1:35 AM edit delete reply
Weird, unregistered posting always defaults to "Guest" now, regardless the name input.
Guest 22nd Nov 2017, 5:12 AM edit delete reply
'The hell?
Guest 22nd Nov 2017, 6:31 AM edit delete reply
Yup, me too - guess I'll have to work out how to sign up for an account
Blue_Elite 22nd Nov 2017, 8:10 AM edit delete reply
Pretty sure you can sign-up/make an account here:
https://comicfury.com
lil Joshu 22nd Nov 2017, 12:30 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Completely random thought unrelated to current events...

If we dripped some blood into biopaste, could we externalize using the biopaste instead of our own bodymass?
Guest 22nd Nov 2017, 1:19 PM edit delete reply
Assume Jason Statham level of professional, ready syringes (how many Do we have by the way), have Fuse ready to char them and assume more than two in the vehicle. Follow and have Michelle accelerate to the point where the Humvee Has to do so or lose her then suddenly jackknife the truck and bail out so their vehicle T-bones it on the passenger side. Blood those exiting the Humvee, pyrotechnics for distraction, and if able get everyone back in the working vehicle (probably theirs) and drive off. Then have Caius call Shirai.