Comic 606 - Build a scrambler

Posted on 21st Nov 2017, 3:25 PM in Ghosts
Build a scrambler

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Nov 2017, 3:25 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Everyone quickly finishes up their shopping.

Fuse and Dr. Finch load up into the backseat of your car with the canister, with Caius in your passenger seat. Michelle takes the keys to the truck from Dr. Finch.

The plan is to not just scramble the signal, but to create a fake signal that can be left behind with a burner phone.

At least, that's the plan at first.


"We got company," Caius points out as you're leaving the parking lot.

A heavy, black vehicle makes its way down the street at a rapid pace. While Fuse and Dr. Finch work at the canister, Caius draws his gun. You turn a corner, and it becomes quite apparent that the black vehicle is pursuing you.

You ask Caius if it's one of Shirai's.

"If it is, it's new," he says. "I ain't never seen that one before."

You--and Michelle, in the truck--are steadily forced to accelerate to stay ahead of the vehicle. No one rolls down its windows or leans out to fire from its cabin--rather, it's beginning to feel like it plans on ramming you.

Comments:

Blue_Elite 21st Nov 2017, 3:40 PM edit delete reply
If that's the Feds I'd rather not open fire unless they shoot us first. Ideally we want to keep on their "good" side (or at least keep ourselves as low-concern).

That looks like a very big car. Any chance we can find an alleyway it wouldn't be able to follow us through? Otherwise if we can keep turning it shouldn't be able to make tight turns (and hopefully at this time of night, traffic is low for a little reckless driving).
2FABZ 21st Nov 2017, 3:41 PM edit delete reply
Well shit
Mochi 21st Nov 2017, 3:43 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
it's the feds. ditch the can and floor it. we can't afford to get caught, and we definitely can't afford to have two of our cars wrecked.
Twyll 21st Nov 2017, 3:57 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, at this point, we probably should just go ahead and write a note on the canister ("Murderous abomination of science inside, DO NOT OPEN, methods of care and keeping unclear. Canister is bugged by somebody?") and book it out of here. There probably aren't enough moles in the Feds that she'd be in any danger of being removed from custody and given to Thale or Gesenai without revealing their hand.
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 4:05 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, but include the words "SUBMERGE IN WATER IF YOURE GONNA OPEN IT"
Nayru9572 21st Nov 2017, 4:19 PM edit delete reply
I'd say try to find a route too small for it and split up: it'll probably go for Jane's car which has the canister loaded into it.
Since it's the smallest of the cars it'll probably be able to lose it through an alley far easier once the signal-scrambling can be activated.
Nayru9572 21st Nov 2017, 4:35 PM edit delete reply
Also, maybe sync Jane with the best driver in the group.
Portal In Time 21st Nov 2017, 4:34 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Do some sick trips and drive your car off a ramp, landing exactly where you need to be completely unscathed while the Feds are too chicken to go on the ramp after you

Really though, split up gang.
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 4:45 PM edit delete reply
firepower on tires?
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 6:43 PM edit delete reply
Don't suppose Fuse could blow their fuses could he? Tires? Anything? Level him off and make the attempt. Regardless of who is in that vehicle they're professional, nothing short of a mechanical failure is going to deter them. We have to keep that canister, and keep it shut, or Everybody dies with us likely first on the list.
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 7:06 PM edit delete reply
If it's the feds we could maybe ditch Edison. Of course if they're in our enemy's pocket then we really shouldn't give them Edison.
Guest 21st Nov 2017, 7:10 PM edit delete reply
can you make a fake signal while in the truck? Do we have any glass containers with blood in them we can maybe throw at their wheels trying to get enough in to mess them up?
rufiangel 21st Nov 2017, 7:11 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I don't see a huge point in splitting up because that only gets Michelle away and leaves her alone and possibly more vulnerable than the rest of us in Jane's car.

I'm seconding leveling Fuse out to pop a tire or something similar (like popping something nearby as a distraction) but only if they're getting uncomfortably close. Otherwise he needs to work on the scrambler.

I suppose besides that, everything everyone suggested about flooring it?

Don't mind dropping the canister with a note either, though it does seem a little risky.