Comic 412 - Get ready to acquire footage

Posted on 21st Sep 2017, 7:20 PM in Doors
Get ready to acquire footage

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Sep 2017, 7:20 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You wake up at about 9:00 am.

You check on Macland Row. In addition to the guard that's usually with him, there's someone else there--someone you recognize from Macland's mind as Gesenai Shirai.

"And you're sure the nurse did this?," Shirai asks.

"One hundred percent," the scarred man responds. "Mackey was gettin' real worried about her. Paranoid. A lot, even for Mackey. I think he knew this was comin'."

Gesenai's jaw visibly clenches, but her expression otherwise stays the same. She begins to turn and walk away, but stops when the scarred man speaks up again.

"Don't do anything crazy, Ges."

She breathes in deep. Slowly.

"I'm going to do what needs to be done. This has gone on long enough."

And with that, Gesenai storms out.

You're reminded to ask Caius what the scarred guard's name is, since he seems especially attached to Macland Row.

Caius takes a second, grinning when he actually remembers. "Knox. It was Knox. He coulda got tha face thing taken care of, but he thought it made 'em look cool. So, we all called him Scar, or Slash, or Edge, or some other... y'know, "totally rad" name that sounds like it's tryin' too hard. Pissed him off, 'cuz we wouldn't take it seriously."

You check on Dr. Finch, who is currently drumming his fingers against the table. He occasionally tries to shout at the glass, and not very impressively with his recently worked on throat. "Hello? Are you all going to let me out of here or not? Perhaps ship me to a proper hospital, where they won't strap me down like an inmate?"

You let Dr. Finch know you're working on a way to get him out of there, and you're still keeping tabs on him.

You check on, and take care of, your previous injuries as well as Fuse's. You clean wounds, you re-bandage, you redistribute painkiller as needed.

You all partake of the motel's continental breakfast option, and you discuss which option to pursue: Howler's apartment, or the hospital.

"We get more out of Howler's, with the e-mails and all," Fuse says, "but the odds are higher of Shirai or Carpenter setting up some kind of ambush. Or the information just not being there anymore."

"You didn't wanna wear the tropical lookin' shirt?," Michelle says, faking a pout.

"No," Fuse says dryly, trying not to smile. "No, I did not. The hospital seems safer, but that worries me. Thale's gotta know the footage would be down there, right? And Carpenter... and pretty much everybody else. It's weird that nobody's touched the place."

"I kinda think you're bein' paranoid," Michelle starts, "but I kinda think you're right. Any of these guys had the resources--they could've got the hospital demolished, cleaned out, burned up, whatever. The feds could've quarantined the place off, but they didn't, neither. It's weird. I don't wanna say it's a trap, 'cuz that's a long ass time to be settin' up a pretty weak trap, but... it's weird."

"It is tha government," Caius suggests. "Might be caught up in red tape. Y'know... like, one department wants to tear the place down, one department wants to clean it up and turn it back into a functionin' hospital, and a third department wants to clone the blood and make monsters or somethin'. And then they send passive aggressive e-mails at each other for the next ten years an' nothin' gets done. An' in the meantime, Thale an' his goons get told they can't mess with the hospital, it's a government deal now."

"That... kinda makes sense," Michelle states. "But you sound like you've been in the government. Like, that was a personal experience kinda speech, Caius."

Caius gives a big shrug. "Maybe I got an intern in my noggin somewhere. Y'ever think about that? They pump us full o' information an' launch us out tha tube, but one of tha guys they pulled experience outta coulda been a serial killer or somethin'. How thorough are they with all that? Do they dig, or do they jus' say hey yeah this guy could fight good, throw 'em in the vat?"

Michelle shakes her head, grinning. "Well, that's one more thing to keep me up at night. Thanks Caius."

Caius just smiles and waves.

"So that's the question," Fuse asks. "More bang for our buck but at a higher risk from Howler's..."

"...Or the prob'ly safer but way creepier hospital?," finishes Michelle.

Comments:

AlphaDragon 21st Sep 2017, 8:12 PM edit delete reply
My gut says both are gonna be a mess. But I suspect the hospital will only be a monster not a bunch of human goons. So lets go there. Armed, and equiped with syringes, I also think Caius should stay back with Fuse. Let Michelle and Blondie return, they both know the layout.
Deadly Death Sickle 21st Sep 2017, 8:18 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
Right now I would say, "get a few rats while we have the time" BUT, I think bunnies would be a better option due to a rabbits higher speed and agility, similar jaw strength, +12 cuteness, slightly better vision and hearing compared to a rat, the only down fall is that a rabbit is slightly larger, but they could still go through the vent covers we had the rats go through, I think a holland lop would be the best bunnie, so I change what I would have said to "We should get some bunnies while we have the time"


EDIT: We might also need the bunnies for scouting rooms if we go to the hospital. We should pick them up on the way there. Besides, Michelle would probably go berserk if we mentioned bunnies but didn't get them, lol
Akasha 21st Sep 2017, 8:29 PM edit delete reply
Nice to know Caius understands the importance of taking the piss out of a dude.

Anyways, I'd chance Howler's place again, myself. It'll more than likely be a bit riskier, but I imagine we can just mitigate that if we're quick about it.

We already know where the computer with all the important stuff is, after all. So even if they'll know where to strike, it won't matter all that much if we're already out by the time they get there.
rufiangel 21st Sep 2017, 8:38 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
The tropical shirt and Michelle's fake pout <333 XDDD She and Caius TOTALLY got that just for giggles!

As to where to go... I want to say, 'why not both?' :P Well, one after the other, anyway.

The hospital we've properly scoped out so we should give that a try first. We have the key bypass and everything, too.

Michelle and Jane should go, but I don't know about whether Caius should stay behind or not. He strikes me as someone who'd rather go on the field trip than stay behind, but then there's Fuse to think about, too. Eh, I'll leave that one up to other readers to decide.

As a side-note, I find it hilarious that Caius and the others wouldn't take Knox seriously and kept calling him all manners of dumb try-hard names. We should definitely call him one of those if we ever see him, just for fun. :P

Oh, and we finally caught a glimpse of Gesenai Shirai! She... says she's going to do what needs to be done. Something crazy is going to happen, isn't it. >_> Welp... let's go sort out the hospital footage stuff *before* she manages to do... whatever it is she wants to do. Yeah?
Mochi 21st Sep 2017, 8:44 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
matt, your characterization is incredible. especially with caius. it's not overtly stated in any way, but you can tell just with how he's acting and how he's talking that he's getting a lot more comfortable around the rest of the group. he's joking around, laughing and smiling more. like he's letting his real self shine through now that he doesn't have to spend his time posturing and being all rough and intimidating as a security guard. it's really subtle, and really cool to see how he's been changing over the last few days.

as far as plan of action goes, part of me wants to risk howler's. but, now that shirai is clearly out for our blood, it's probably not the best idea. caius' theory about the hospital holds water. we know the layout, we know where to go, and we know the quickest way there. and, due to the open nature of the place (as it's not been repaired) we can take a bird with us to scout ahead. we should go in the back door, though. if there is a back door, i mean.
rufiangel 21st Sep 2017, 9:43 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Ya <3 Caius is actually a pretty warm guy. Super rough around the edges, but he's also gently humorous in his own way and actually more laid-back than he initially let on. It's nice to see him relax more around us.
Macheman7 21st Sep 2017, 9:18 PM edit delete reply
I vote hospital.
Mostly because there was a giant rat monster in Macland's mind, and there was a dead giant rat monster in Howler's subfloor hideaway.
I do not trust.
Besides, we have a general understanding of how to kill most of the bio-printed monsters, if there's any left. And if there are, they've probably gone mad without 'food' or a 'brain' bioprinter to report to.
Mochi 21st Sep 2017, 9:26 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
also, this isn't the first time caius has shown knowledge of how government shit works. remember his speech to agent lady about jane not being dead being a city issue? hmmmmm! seems our big lug has some pretty useful stuff knocking around in that shorn head of his.
rufiangel 21st Sep 2017, 9:45 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Secret skill, activate! XD

(Michelle had a raven whisperer somewhere in her makeup lol)
Skybirds15 21st Sep 2017, 9:45 PM edit delete reply
Howler's is tempting, but Shirai knows about it, and is clearly about to try to kill us again. Unless Caius has a tracker in his butt, she'll have to trap us. The list of locations that she knows we'll be interested in is limited to Howler's and our various houses. This means that the hospital, which we won't be detected going to since it's out of STQ land, is much, much safer.
My vote hospital.
rufiangel 21st Sep 2017, 10:01 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Good thing we already scanned Caius for a tracker and confirmed he's good -v-)b (though obviously in retrospect we should have bloody checked the phones instead of Caius's butt LOL oh well hindsight is 20/20)
Crestlinger 21st Sep 2017, 10:00 PM edit delete reply
Time for some masks for either way And get a hold of some scent masking agent, easiest from the hotel cleaner's cart.
Baeronius 21st Sep 2017, 10:20 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
Well... I assume it's time to pull the blood out of Macland.
Since that testing thing is going around... well they might have already used it, if Knox is that confident in his claim, even though it was Carpenter's device that ultimately did it.
(Being of a point, it probably would have activated in time even without attempting to access his mind, which would be another factor for why the procedure would be a failure.)
Either way, we need to get rid of that evidence somehow.
Is there a way to like... eject the blood into a biohazard disposal in the hospital room?