Comic 356 - Get breakfast

Posted on 10th Sep 2017, 10:06 PM in Unfathomable Hate
Get breakfast

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.67 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 10th Sep 2017, 10:06 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You all do your best to put things back in order in the house. You also warn Mom's red that government agents may show up... or any of the other awful people trying to hunt you. You do your best to fix the ventilation shaft on your way out, as well.

You then lock everything up and leave your house.

You find a cheap fast food place to get breakfast from. Two bags of sausage and egg biscuits isn't exactly the breakfast of champions, but you have some hesitance about stopping off in a diner for too long.

You extend Macland's sleep for the moment.

You send your third raven--who was just out and about doing raven things--to Dr. Finch's house to scope how things are going. There is still a hazmat team at Dr. Finch's house cleaning up after the bacteria outbreak. You now have a raven at Dr. Finch's, your house, and at the site Dr. Finch is being kept at.

You consider finding out where Dr. Finch is through your raven. You could call it back to you, then ask it to lead you to where the government is keeping him--a raven's memory is good enough that it should be able to recall that unaided. The problem with that is that you won't know where you're going until you get there.

You could attempt to read the raven's mind, and find out where it is that way... however, you can only read minds while synced, and you're not sure how to go about explaining to a raven what a sync is, let alone getting the raven to agree to it. If the raven resists you, you'll have to force a sync... with an animal, which could be easier or harder than a human being. You're really not sure.

In either case, you'll be infiltrating a government site of some kind to rescue Dr. Finch. This will not be easy.

You also consider forcing a sync on Macland Row, while he's still asleep. It would be a good way to get information about the inner workings of TH's circle--including TH's identity--but given how much time and effort it took just to maneuver through Michelle's mind, Macland's mind will be difficult, in part thanks to whatever mental defenses Carpenter gave him.

Of your two main options for the day--saving Dr. Finch, or prying info from Macland--both come with extreme risk and will require a great deal of focus from you. The question is which you want to dedicate your efforts to for the moment, and how you want to go about it.

Comments:

Mochi 10th Sep 2017, 10:37 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
i think we should leave dr. finch where he is for now. the surgeons will be working on him for quite a while, and after that he'll be in no condition to be moved until he's recuperated. in the very least, he's in a relatively safe hospital setting and will hopefully not be at a risk from any complications for the time being. if we go busting in and try and drag him away right now, there's a chance we'll be doing more harm than good. syncing with macland isn't ideal, either, but now is probably the best chance we'll get. we could see if someone else is willing to let us practice on them, but that'd take up valuable time.
rufiangel 10th Sep 2017, 11:07 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
This sounds reasonable to me as well; probably shouldn't try to sync with anyone else for practice given the current circumstances, yeah.

I'd like to suggest we kind of do something like this: we find a middle-tier motel to hunker down in, and someone stays with us to keep guard while we 'zone out' to do our force sync with Macland, while the other two head out to follow the raven and find out where the facility is. They are NOT to infiltrate yet, just to find out where it is and get an idea of the security/defenses.

With our current skills, I'd say Caius (previous security detail) and Michelle (law enforcement and general military/law tech) make a good duo to head out and scope out the place Dr. Finch is at, while Fuse stays with us. He can research stuff while we're 'zoning out'.

Thoughts?
Mochi 10th Sep 2017, 11:14 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
that sounds reasonable to me, though i'd be more comfortable having someone who can really hold their own in a fight without our help watching us, it makes sense for fuse to hang back so he can research stuff and help get us info on some of the people and other things that we've found. maybe see if he can find any old zone fifty shit on the dark parts of the internet, who knows.
AlphaDragon 10th Sep 2017, 11:24 PM edit delete reply
@Mochi @Rufi Sounds good to me to.
T41 10th Sep 2017, 11:54 PM edit delete reply
If you attempt a forced sync with someone while already synced with someone willingly can you take them with you for back-up/moral support?
Morgenstern 11th Sep 2017, 12:14 AM edit delete reply
Morgenstern
You're not sure yet.


Maybe.
rufiangel 11th Sep 2017, 12:21 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
! That would be so much nicer than going it alone :'D
Espylacopa 11th Sep 2017, 1:21 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
An intriguing prospect. Two minds is, theoretically, better than one but it might not even work right and even if it does it most likely leaves one more person out of touch with the physical world.
We might not even need a lookout though. As far as we're aware we aren't currently being watched or tracked, through the feds are still mostly an unknown. Row, if we choose to pursue this opportunity, is our target. His unconscious state should delay his plan, whatever that is, unless it has already been set in motion. Shirai just recently made an attempt on us and probably needs to regroup before trying again even if she did know where we are.
I agree that it'll probably still be a while before Dr. Finch is in a state fit to be moved, but recon isn't out of the question.
And I'm just rambling 'cause I'm really not sure what exactly I want to do.
Mochi 11th Sep 2017, 3:41 AM edit delete reply
Mochi
trying to do stuff while group-synced didn't work too great for us last time with the card game, but i've been curious as to whether or not this is a possibility, as well. it might be worth a shot, but who knows how long testing it would take? we probably can't keep macland asleep forever without raising suspicion... we could test it and risk losing our chance to get macland at what is arguably his weakest, or just try it on him and hope for the best, and then recon on finch's sitch later, because he's not going anywhere
Varil1024 11th Sep 2017, 8:18 AM edit delete reply
Varil1024
I think it'd be worth the risk, if we have any volunteers. Obviously, this isn't something we should ever demand of our allies, as the risks are largely unknown, both the multi-mind invasion and entering Macland's mind in general.

Would Michelle be a good choice here, if she were willing? At this point we know her mind best, and she's pretty unflinching against everything that isn't spiders.

It's a mindscape of sorts, can we appear "equipped", if we focus on it? It's all metaphorical, but a metaphorical laser cannon sounds better than no laser cannon.

I agree that we don't necessarily need to worry about Finch right this second. I think it'd be better to deal with Macland now, and save scouting out Finch's location until later today. We probably won't be able to save him for a day or so anyway, if his condition is so bad. Lets just hope that whoever those guys are, our "feds", that they value having him alive and relatively healthy at least for now.

(Also : Alas, I missed the stream! I'll probably miss all of them that aren't on the weekends though, so I suppose I will have to live without.)
rufiangel 11th Sep 2017, 10:07 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
(Note: I'm basically going by the assumption we're taking only one person. Mostly because I think it's important to find out where Dr. Finch is ASAP, and also because I think bringing one person in with us is more likely to work than more than one - especially when we haven't tried it before.)

I'm thinking either Michelle or Fuse, but logistically speaking. probably Fuse. In the event that our attempt to bring an ally with us into the mindscape doesn't work out, Fuse is the better person to remain behind with Jane (for all his researchy powers) while Michelle is the better person to head on out to scope out the government facility (for all her military tech knowledge).

Also, this is where things get kind of weird or complicated, but we actually don't know if can bring 'weaponry' in with us, which is Michelle's point of expertise. In the force-sync with Michelle, Jane had a handgun equipped IRL, but in Michelle's mind she had to pick up an mind-axe to equip herself with a weapon. In that sense, Fuse's pyrokinesis is a more assured bet in a mindscape as it doesn't require a weapon, and Jane can still use blood powers in the mindscape, allowing her to faux-level him out if need be. (Technically Caius makes the safest best 'physically' as someone with no need for any weapons or level-headedness for effectiveness, but we have to take into account personalities and relationships here and he miiiight not be quite ready for this.)

And yes, this is all completely dependent on our allies' willingness, I agree. Which is why Fuse has the right to say no, since he *does* tend to freak out more often than Michelle does. (Though I guess if he's somewhat emotionally and mentally unscathed(?) after all the high hell we went through in the warehouse, he's probably a little bit jaded at this point. :'D)

Conclusively I think it's worth a shot. If people are okay with no lookout, and Fuse is cool with it, we can send Caius and Michelle to scope out where Dr. Finch is at while we attempt syncing up with Fuse, and then taking him with us into the Mind of Mackey. If not, he can remain behind to do the researchy things as previously mentioned. And if he agrees, we try and fail and end up in Macland's mind alone, it's just the former plan again anyway.

All that said, I am flexible with other ideas here and am merely thinking out loud. -v-)/
Morgenstern 11th Sep 2017, 12:38 AM edit delete reply
Morgenstern
Also I'm about to streeeaaam

Give people time to debate the logistics of Team Save Finch/Team Possibly Group Sync/Team Defend the Unconscious During a Sync
AlphaDragon 11th Sep 2017, 9:35 AM edit delete reply
Seems anyway we jump it's not going to get easier. I am still of the "leave Fuse to watch Blondie send the other two on recon" mindset.
rufiangel 11th Sep 2017, 11:35 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Utterly unrelated to anything, I just realised that... Dr. Finch has been shirtless in this webcomic twice. He is the only protag with that distinction, of all protags. *cries*

While I'm on the topic of random counts, Michelle has a happy hug count of 4 now; all the other charas in our protag party need hugs too some point XD <3

By the way it occurred to me randomly (on the topic of randomness) that we need to restock on our first aid supplies and then redo the dressings on our injuries. Fuse's burnt arm is hopefully doing better than it was several days ago, and his stabbed leg and Jane's shredded back probably could do with a redressing. Jane's got a ton of other stuff (sprained wrist/funky shoulder/neck pain) that's hopefully better than it was yesterday, though I guess sleeping tensely in a dinky hallway probably didn't do wonders for those things. This is an aside more than anything else but probably necessary in the long-run. >_>
Varil1024 11th Sep 2017, 12:38 PM edit delete reply
Varil1024
Good point. We are way behind on general maintenance.

So general plan : Get a cheapo/midrange motel(whatever we can afford) as a temporary home base first. Send out a pair to go scout out Finch's location. I'm ambivalent as to who. Whoever is least willing to do a duo-sync? Maybe ask them to do some shopping on their way home? First Aid supplies, bottled water, food we can carry, in case we need to go into deep hiding and it becomes hard to show our faces for shopping? While they're out us and maybe one other dive into Macland's brain and hope we come out the other side better informed than him, and without any permanent mental damage.

Afterwards, a day or two of downtime and recuperation, maybe? Find a more permanent base, try to make some cash somehow, general medical recovery while keeping an eye on Finch and planning his rescue.
Baeronius 11th Sep 2017, 12:42 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
... o.o
NO! Must not think of toplessness!
WHY has thou poisoneth mine verily mindification!?
Hasth thou no dignity, thou Ruffian! Scoundrel!

I mean considering half of the crew is female... so... uh. yeah. That's technically a landmine in any webcomic.
11th Sep 2017, 1:24 PM edit delete reply
My headcanon has Jane topless while Fuse was picking broken glass out of her back, not for sexy reasons, just to make the job easier.
Kitty 11th Sep 2017, 3:20 PM edit delete reply
Might be rather late to add this to consideration, but what about finding an abandoned warehouse or something to turn into our new home base? It seemed to work well enough for the baddies :P Maybe we get a motel for a couple days and then seek out an abandoned building when we have the opportunity.

The one thing I'm concerned about with Finch undergoing surgery at the Feds' place is that they might decide to put some sort of tracking device into him in the process. Then again, we can probably detect and maybe even eject such a device using our blood-powers, so it's not a HUGE problem, just something to be aware of when we're checking up on him later.

I think either Michelle or Fuse would work well for a dual-sync. Michelle is just generally calm under fire, and seems pretty good at dealing with traumatic stuff as well-- she had her considerable trauma buried remarkably well, all things considered. And Fuse has to be good at remaining calm and detaching himself mentally, or he would've been burned to a crisp by now.