Comic 345 - Go to your house

Posted on 7th Sep 2017, 6:15 PM in Unfathomable Hate
Go to your house

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 7th Sep 2017, 6:15 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You decide, for now, to go back to your house. Your rat hasn't seen anyone enter it.

"We really gonna be safe here?," Caius asks as you arrive. You send the raven that was in the car out to hang out around the house, and help keep an eye out for a possible attack.

"No," Fuse responds. "They know about this house. We had to fight off dirty cops here once."

"Not a lot of other options," Michelle says. "It's this, or drivin' around for a couple more hours. Gas ain't cheap."

You say that you want to make an inventory check--figure out what all is still at your disposal.

"We got guns," Michelle suggests.

"But not a lot of ammo," adds Fuse. "The warehouse, and getting chased by Shirai's thugs, didn't do us any favors."

You state the you've still got first aid supplies, though they're not exactly overflowing anymore.

"I've still got tools," Fuse states. "We've got... the one car."

"My truck's still parked at Finch's," Michelle huffs. "I totally forgot about it. Hope they don't tow it or somethin'."

"We tossed all the chipped phones," Caius pitches in. "Shouldn't be nothin' they can track us on."

You mention that you could call the agent's number. Fuse could bounce the ID so they can't trace the call.

"And then what?," asks Fuse. "Negotiate? We know what they want. They want you. We don't know what they wanna do to you, but there's no way it's good. That agent either knew something was going to go down, or..."

Fuse trails off.

"Or what?," Caius asks.

"Or there's somethin' real off about that federal agent," Michelle concludes. "Finch is either in serious danger, or he's the safest he's been since the hospital."

"We're in serious danger," Fuse says bluntly. "We've got nowhere to run, Shirai put out a hit on us, and Arvin Carpenter conducted biological warfare in Dr. Finch's living room. The best we've got is the hope that Shirai's running out of guys. We have no clue what Prophet or Macland are planning, we're barely any closer to figuring out who TH is, and now the government is breathing down our necks. I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news, guys, but we're ever so SLIGHTLY fucked right now."

You check on Macland. He's still in his hotel room, drinking an absurd amount of wine. He's not passed out drunk yet, but he's definitely getting there--he can barely sit up straight at this point. You're not sure where his scarred bodyguard went.

There's a long, tense pause, before Caius speaks up. "So we hit 'em." Everyone turns to stare at Caius. "Right? They friggen... fuggen waltzed right up into our place of operation, an' they wrecked tha joint. We gotta hit 'em back. I say we find this Arvin asshole, an' we show 'em what happens when you mess with tha gang. Or, we go after Gesenai while she's winded. She just lost some guys, she's over extendin' herself, an' I don't know if she knew Carpenter was gonna pull what he did. These sleazeballs might be at each others' throats, that's a good time to go bust skulls."

"We walked into a warehouse and almost died," Fuse counters. "I want these guys to pay more than anybody, but we're in no position to start a fight right now. Even if we knew where Carpenter is, the dude's probably got a screwed up nightmare lair waiting for us... never mind Shirai, who owns like a fifth of the city. Making a move now would be suicide."

You check on Dr. Finch. He's currently being strapped to a gurney, and loaded into an unmarked truck. You can't see through him very well while he's unconscious, but between him and your raven, you can see numerous people in hazmat suits working to deal with the bodies. The federal agent from before is nowhere to be seen.

Comments:

rufiangel 7th Sep 2017, 7:09 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Okay, he's being strapped to a gurney and not being turfed out with bodies and stuff. I'll take that for now. Still think a blood alarm there makes sense. Be safe, doctor. Watch him well, raven.

What about Michelle's place, then, after all? It won't be as trackable and it'll bring us into the Lower Tiers where Fuse actually knows where to get weapons on the cheap, and Michelle's gotten us some things before as well. We do need to restock on ammo. It's dangerous but hell, everywhere is dangerous at this point. Might as well head to a place where at least a couple of us are familiar enough with it to avoid being shanked on the streets or something. (Edit: just to add that *if* we go down to the lower tiers, we definitely all need the sneaky clothes to avoid being recognised by anyone hopped up on STQ.)

I agree with Caius in a way. We're a small team, but we're incredibly tight. It's possible to figure out where Carpenter is by commanding Mackey to say it out loud (and then never tell anyone he just did that). Taking that jerk out might help us a lot in the long-run. Until we know exactly what's going on with the third faction the "Fed" lady represents, and where Dr. Finch is being taken, we could think about striking out when they least expect it. Though maybe not immediately, since like Fuse says, that's a bit much. (But maybe tomorrow.)
Mochi 7th Sep 2017, 7:11 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
i think we should go downstairs and talk to mom's Red. maybe it can help us somehow. we have nowhere else to turn, we have nowhere else to go. i appreciate everyone trying to figure out what to do but... fuse is right. as of right now, we're fucked. we have no upper hand, we have no backup, finch is gone, grizwald is missing, and everyone else wants us dead. we need something, anything, and the only thing we haven't tried is downstairs in the secret cellar. it certainly couldn't hurt. also, lock all the doors and windows. obviously.
AlphaDragon 7th Sep 2017, 7:28 PM edit delete reply
I think Mochi is right, Time to talk to Red. Mom's red might know more of what we are capable of. If it's possible maybe we can have the two reds meet?

As for hiding spots... Let's go to the arcade! If Griswald does turn up it will be there. Plus the feds, Macland, and Sherai shouldn't know about it. We should also explore it well. Behind the macines, air vents, do the counters move? Anywhere a Vent Hermit might hide.
Mochi 7th Sep 2017, 7:41 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
you know, rufi and i were talking about how neat it'd be if there was a secret underground bunker under the rockwell arcade. at the rate we've been discovering secret bunkers in random places, it's almost a statistical improbability that there wouldn't be one. our house has one, howler's shitty apartment had one, clearly they are easy to secretly construct in this city. there has to be a reason grizwald holed up there, right?
AlphaDragon 7th Sep 2017, 7:56 PM edit delete reply
@Mochi You are correct, no way a crazy conspiracy theorist is going to hole up someplace random... as for the bunker, STRONG possibility in my opinion.
Kitty 7th Sep 2017, 8:40 PM edit delete reply
I believe we brought the bugged phone to the arcade at one point, so it might actually be compromised, unfortunately.

Also, Griswald may be a crazy conspiracy theorist, but he's also an apparently homeless guy who needs somewhere to sleep-- so it's entirely possible that he WOULD pick somewhere random to stay. Heck, he might consider it SAFER to stay in a random arcade than in some place with actual relevance, because the random place would look less suspicious.

He might be our best option to go to for help, though, after we visit Mom's red. He is, after all, just. That. Good.
AlphaDragon 7th Sep 2017, 8:43 PM edit delete reply
He is homeless, but he specifically mentioned a preferred sleeping machine in the arcade. Which means he comes there more than once.
Baeronius 7th Sep 2017, 7:39 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
I think the portal ping-pong ball would be the best option if we ever had to infiltrate the fed base to investigate their facilities. If we could figure out how to make a tiny eye to retract into the ping-pong, then we'd have a mobile spy unit, that is less conspicuous than an animal but more reliable than an insect.

Which remeinds me, crows are smart birds. They might be able to identify a few things if we just let them patrol as they will.
I know that crows can recognize individual humans, as well as items, and figure out some of the uses for items (as long as results are immediate and simple).
So the crows themselves could probably report back if they spotted something of interest, without the need of a blood watch.

Edit: Oh crows. I meant RAVENS... right?
Mochi 7th Sep 2017, 8:06 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
we have ravens, yes. although crows and other corvids are also very intelligent. except blue jays. they're just assholes.
AlphaDragon 7th Sep 2017, 8:07 PM edit delete reply
All right, I have to admit, I am struggling with the ping-pong ball idea. It looks valid on the surface. Take some blood put it in the ball (Because otherwise it would wipe off as we roll), get somewhere, use our blood to move the ball. Then squeeze it back out the hole we put it in with? But all that moving with a inanimate object takes energy... Then once we have a small amount of blood there, we portal in more blood, using more energy. Then a person. Then once they have done whatever we reverse the process?

Just from a energy expenditure aspect I'm not sure this wouldn't put us in a coma.
Baeronius 7th Sep 2017, 8:14 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
Mom, for a better term, had a way to energize an entire spaceship. Surely we could find a way to gather and store energy?
Mayhaps we could use a tree or something? I mean aside from hugging.

Chlorophyll is Mine!

I'm sure Mom's Red would help us to learn how to be more capable.
What we love, our Red loves, and this is our Mom's Red. So it should love to see us develop abilities, even if they aren't as far as Mom's Red was hoping.
WalkerOfSorrow 7th Sep 2017, 9:10 PM edit delete reply
Let's go talk to Mom's Red.

Baeronius, I think your comment about trees has put a cap on something that was tossed around since WAY many posts ago. We need to start branching out species. We've got a practically endless supply of blood if we pace ourselves, and we've already used rats and birds. I propose that we experiment with an increasingly foreign progression of life forms:

- Lizards
- Amphibians
- Fish
- Molluscs/Cephalopods/Crustaceans/etc.
- Insects
- Fungus (considered to be the bridge between Animal and Plant kingdoms scientifically)
- And finally, plants. Flowers, trees, ivy, weeds, whatever we can get in contact with.

When we considered bugs before, the point of critique made was that it would be very foreign to our perception. But our mom was some kind of Great Old One. We're at least half that, I mean we came from an egg. So foreign shouldn't be a permanent obstacle. If we can acclimate to a particular way of sensing and thinking, we can work our way down to understand different life forms and how they work. Surely it should be possible to "fold" our blood in a way that works with mosquitoes, spiders, black mold, trees...given practice.
WalkerOfSorrow 7th Sep 2017, 9:12 PM edit delete reply
As one more point of note in favor of my argument: consider what just happened to us. We got screwed by another life form: streptococcus. That's not arsenic, that's not bullets, or electricity, or nerve gas. It's a pathogen. A living thing, weaponized to hurt us. If we branch out and explore all forms of life, we might one day reach a point where we laugh at attempts to infect our people.