Comic 1083 - Gather the last of you

Posted on 21st Jun 2018, 9:13 PM in Hope
Gather the last of you

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Jun 2018, 9:13 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You approach her... the most recent of yourself, and the last one to collect.

You hug her.

You tell her that you're not going to get rid of her. Knowing that the temptation exists, and refusing it, helps keep you on track. To just... get rid of temptation wouldn't make you any stronger.

Besides, you plan to be around for a long, long time. Maybe you will give in to that temptation some day. Maybe not.

You check your closet. It is, in fact, just a closet--full of clothes you vaguely remember owning.

On your way out of the room, you notice that the monitor is no longer flashing its message--in fact, it's no longer on. In the black, unlit screen, you can faintly see your reflection... and that the assessment of the others was accurate. You look heavily aged, and physically exhausted, and a little sad.

You head back into the hall, with your childhood and thoughts of godhood in tow.


At least...



you thought you did.




When you arrive in the hall, you realize that everyone's gone.


You're... you. The whole you.


image


You looked at every part of yourself, and... you kept it all exactly as it was, removing no one from the equation, denying no part of yourself.

With nothing left to do here, you head toward the light at the end of the hall.

You're steadily blanketed in, and blinded by, a field of white.



You feel... disjointed.



A sharp motion, like one feels in their stomach when they're falling.



But you don't... have a stomach. Per se.



You don't have much of anything, you simply are. You don't really "feel," you just... experience.



And you experience something else, someone else, within your being. Your existence contracts, and theirs resists, not naturally shrinking with your own.

You... hold them. Hug them. Try to, as much as you can, without a shape or a form or arms or a body.


And you



collapse.



In on yourself.



In on everything.



It's like falling a thousand miles at once.


It's like being electrocuted.


It's like being crushed alive.


You try to scream, but can't


and you experience someone trying to scream with you.



And then... an abrupt stop, like slamming into a brick wall from every conceivable angle simultaneously.



You wake up feeling... not better, necessarily, but more stable.


In comparison.


"Y... you did it! Oh my goodness, you did it!"


It takes you a moment to realize you're standing, another two moments before you can see again. And the first thing you see is...


Faraday...?


"A... are you okay?," she asks. "You don't... look quite right."



image

Comments:

Crestlinger 21st Jun 2018, 10:04 PM edit delete reply
Fun. Time to go back to Mine body Now.
Cuttlefish 21st Jun 2018, 10:06 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. A brief reassurement for Faraday first though.
Leafia_Barrett 21st Jun 2018, 10:07 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
First off, try to concentrate and pull ourselves together the rest of the way. Once that's taken care of, we can say hi to Faraday in person.
PurpleKetchup 22nd Jun 2018, 12:44 AM edit delete reply
I can't wait until we pop Edison out of her time-out and reunite them all.
But... yeah. Mine's wave-function is looking worryingly divergent.
Skullrama 22nd Jun 2018, 2:34 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. Concentrate. Pull it together. Determine if we have to MUCH energy or too little. If too much, find a way to dump it before getting back in the body.

If too little, time to get back in the body ASAP.
Frission 21st Jun 2018, 10:07 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Ask her if she's ever seen an imprint looking like we do right now before?
Cyanic 21st Jun 2018, 10:08 PM edit delete reply
Aww, no group hug :C

oh well, let's run the fuck back to our body and dive in (ok, not dive in, just tell Red we're coming in, and actually go in)

This is one of those, things where your imprint won't be stable because you're still alive type deals, so it's very likely that we just need to go into our body so we can collapse and then Michelle carries us to bed
(clap emoji, clap emoji, clap emoji)

EDIT: actually, if we're not in any risk of doing anything, we should assess our situation first, like what Frission suggested and also testing our new kind of existence around
PurpleKetchup 22nd Jun 2018, 12:38 AM edit delete reply
Alternatively, complete!Mine is a constantly happening group hug.
That's my headcanon at least.
Hambone 21st Jun 2018, 10:10 PM edit delete reply
Folks, I found our alien-PC has been around for a long while, at least as long as windows-95.
http://windows95tips.com/page/4
pkrankow 22nd Jun 2018, 6:46 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We really need to look at the cactus from p885. It looks like another computer.
Akasha 21st Jun 2018, 10:12 PM edit delete reply
Akasha
Reassure her, then try and finish pulling ourselves right back together. Then return to our body. I'd rather not chance something even fuckier happening once we get back in.
undeadDreamer 21st Jun 2018, 10:13 PM edit delete reply
What is happening to us? Maybe we should get back to the body.
Blue_Elite 21st Jun 2018, 10:57 PM edit delete reply
Try to figure out what is happening with ghost-us. Then immediately return to body.

Ask the others how long we were "out" for. Also request pickup if we're dead tired (pun intended). Also also inform them Faraday is back and they can start working on getting the power (and maybe water) back for Ilworth.
Also x3 ask for lunch/dinner/breakfast as appropriate (assuming it's been at least more than a few hours).
Swagner 22nd Jun 2018, 12:26 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
Let's see if we can bleed off (haha) any of that excess voltage before we climb back into our body. It'd suck to have decided to retain our humanity just in time to cook it.
Caydenite 22nd Jun 2018, 9:16 AM edit delete reply
Yeah, good point. Maybe after a quick word with Faraday we can see if Finch/Liz know anything before we put our skin back on. Probably best not to hug any one/thing either, till we know what is happening.
ReikoLupus 22nd Jun 2018, 1:25 AM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Concentrate in making our Spectral body a bit more stable, and hug Faraday.
Guost 22nd Jun 2018, 2:17 AM edit delete reply
It'll... w-wear you out. Bad.

Our current state probably just has something to do with that. Just get back to our body and rest up. Followup on this can wait till we're feeling better.
fellow 22nd Jun 2018, 3:30 AM edit delete reply
fellow
Oh don't worry I'm just practicing my tapdacing maneuvres.
Blue_Elite 22nd Jun 2018, 5:08 AM edit delete reply
More like flash stepping.
pkrankow 22nd Jun 2018, 6:50 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Pull ourselves together enough to hug, and ask Faraday to walk you back to yourself.
Archon 22nd Jun 2018, 7:21 AM edit delete reply
And with our new thunder goddess powers, that's another set of abilities to work with.

Oh, and don't go back into your body just yet.
Should find a way to discharge some excess energy first, yeah?
Rather not have gone through all that just to roast our old body on re-entry.
mr. thought 22nd Jun 2018, 10:56 AM edit delete reply
I think we should get back into are body as quickly as possible because it looks like we are about to fall apart if we do just be ready to slump over unconscious because that took a lot out of us. Probably going to sleep for days.
Barswanian 22nd Jun 2018, 2:45 PM edit delete reply
Is....is Faraday a real girl now? Did we just do that?
Twelveseal 22nd Jun 2018, 3:23 PM edit delete reply
Twelveseal
More a real ghost. I think she's still an imprint. We just took her out of the wiring is all.
lil Joshu 22nd Jun 2018, 6:54 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Maybe it's like when Sephiroth started leaving afterimages in FF7... a side effect of having insane amounts of power...

Mine was just amplified by Incident F technology by the same thing that give Faraday the ability to have enough power to run multiple cities for an indefinite amount of time.

I have the feeling when Mine reenters her body, her red is going to quite impressed with her new amount of power.