Comic 1070 - Check " "your room" "

Posted on 13th Jun 2018, 10:58 PM in Hope
Check " "your room" "

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 13th Jun 2018, 10:58 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You return the hug, and thank the nurse-you. You wouldn't have become you if it wasn't for her, after all. Or... something like that.

You check the bookshelf, first, as it seems the least likely to remove a hand. On it are two books--one red, one purple. You open the purple book first.

It's similar to the books you saw in the previous version of your room--but instead of repeating "FIND YOURSELF," it repeats

WHO ARE YOU WHOARE YOU WHO AREYOU WHOAREYOU WHO ARE YOU

As you thumb through the pages just to make sure there's nothing else, you catch something on the last page. The last line changes, ever so slightly:

WHO AREYOU WHO ARE YOU WHOARE YOU WHO ARE YOU WHAT IS HUMAN

...You put the book back.

You check the red book next, expecting more of the same; however... it is not. Inside are photos--clear, vivid, as though they were taken from your own eyes. Pictures of... Dr. Finch, sprawled out on an operating table. Caius, dying from radiation. Michelle, standing on the other side of a massive hole in the hospital basement. Fuse's... mangled mass, in the error room. The hint of panic in Liz's face as her arm was beginning to bulge out. Knox, crushing Malteaser beneath his heel. Carpenter's stupid, grinning face. Prophet attempting to escape after losing his lackeys. Image after image of... fear, anger, moments that made you feel helpless, moments that infuriated you.

In the margins are messages, written in red ink.

THESE DON'T DEFINE YOU

OVERCOMING THEM DOES

THEY ARE NOT HERE FOR YOUR BENEFIT

THEY ARE NOT YOU

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EMBRACE THEM

ONLY RISE ABOVE THEM

YOU ARE THE YOU THAT BEAT THESE MOMENTS

YOU CAN OVERCOME MORE LIKE THEM

You put the book back.

You check under the... er, desk. As you reach for its mouth, the mouth opens. ...Not as wide as you'd prefer, but it does open. The inside of it is lined with scalpels, all jammed into the interior of the flesh. You hesitate to reach all the way in and actually take any, for now.

You check out the closet, or where the closet would be in your real room. There's just... blackness, and a cold wind blowing past the door--a howling abyss, and nothing.

Lastly, you check the door on the right, the one that would normally lead to the rest of your house. The door doesn't seem to be made to open... but then again, the "door" is just a thick layer of skin, stretched from frame to frame.

Comments:

Mochi 13th Jun 2018, 11:31 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
take a scalpel and cut open the skin door
Cyanic 13th Jun 2018, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
Very likely that we have to take a scalpel and make incisions where the skindoor meets the bone doorframe

If this is one of those, which door is the right one choices, then, I'm super stumped.

Let's ask nurse-us if she knows where any of these lead
chaosblitz 14th Jun 2018, 8:28 AM edit delete reply
seconding asking nurse-us for ideas, but if she doesn't have any better ones we should try cutting into the "door".
Skullrama 13th Jun 2018, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
Welp. Get a scalpel and make a surgical incision in that skin door. We must venture forth.
EclairForce 13th Jun 2018, 11:33 PM edit delete reply
I hesistate to trust our mindscape wont hurt us. For now lets go in the open door and see what we find. But we need to be ready to grab a scalpel from the mouth at some point
Sekwel 13th Jun 2018, 11:37 PM edit delete reply
Would the other us know if we *can* be hurt here? I'm sure we can in the same metaphysical way we are in trouble if we 'die' as a human.

If we end up venturing into the darkness (or being forced in) perhaps we should think very hard about where we want to be? The fear we probably experienced getting here lead to a room full of....fear, of various different kinds.
PurpleKetchup 13th Jun 2018, 11:47 PM edit delete reply
We don't have to embrace them, but we want to.
Maybe that's what it means to be human.
Portal In Time 13th Jun 2018, 11:59 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Can we control anything in this environment? Both in terms of blood powers, and in terms of lucid dreaming.

Also, does she want to come with us?
Lu!dot 14th Jun 2018, 12:14 AM edit delete reply
Lu!dot
lets scapel through that door. we should also see if nurse!us is cool with coming with us. offer to hold her hand
Cyanic 14th Jun 2018, 12:48 AM edit delete reply
selfcest
clap clap

soz
Gigafreak 14th Jun 2018, 12:24 AM edit delete reply
Look into the eyeball that replaced the computer monitor, and see if anything weird happens.

An empty darkness beyond the closet doorway... Well, falling into darkness is how we reached THIS room, and we found a self here. So if the "scalpel on the skin door" thing doesn't pan out, we can take a leap of faith into the black unknown.
Akasha 14th Jun 2018, 1:23 AM edit delete reply
Akasha
I second checking out the computer eyeball for a moment to see if anything interesting happens there. Afterwards, get a scalpel and cut open the skin door.

EDIT: also yeah check under the bed as well. That'd probably be a good idea too
Blue_Elite 14th Jun 2018, 1:44 AM edit delete reply
For anyone who is confused by who Malteaser is, that'd be our brown rat from this scene.

Check with nurse!Mine before cutting the skin door open. Also make sure that if we end up needing to make a hasty retreat back to this room that she'll be alright (we might need to take her with us on this trippy journey otherwise).
37212513 14th Jun 2018, 3:59 AM edit delete reply
37212513
Before moving onward, remind yourself that your only half here. Half of you was created by your father (human), half by your mother (Fragment), but you are Mine. You can't really be either without losing your true nature.

You are a child, and you are still growing, learning, experiencing.

Y o u _ a r e _ a _ f r i e n d .

Take a moment to let that sink in, then move on.

PS. remember to smile.
Memo 14th Jun 2018, 7:00 AM edit delete reply
Memo
Look under the bed.
Hug other you, then move onwards as suggested by everyone else.
pkrankow 14th Jun 2018, 7:08 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Address the ... er... desk. It might be part of us, and may need a careful hug. It also might have more knowledge of this space.

Also, while we left childhood behind, do we need to bring her with or ??
Blue_Elite 14th Jun 2018, 1:02 PM edit delete reply
Minette is probably in a name-calling and raspberry-blowing contest with Godmouth back above.
She's probably losing on both fronts as Godmouth lacks anatomy to insult (poopy-head, stupid-face, etc.) and Godmouth's tongue is likely as big as Minette is tall.
pkrankow 14th Jun 2018, 3:30 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Lol.

I am pretty sure the desk is a different aspect from the wall. I am pretty sure it is part of us. We should talk to it directly.
Tale Swapper 14th Jun 2018, 8:36 AM edit delete reply
Is it weird that I agree with the scary book? We have overcome so much; every hero learns to deal with their fears (or they die pretty quickly. Fearing nothing is a BAD idea.) We are not defined by our fears.

We're also not defined solely by our triumphs. Food for thought.
Leafia_Barrett 14th Jun 2018, 9:01 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Take a scalpel and open the flesh door.
Caydenite 14th Jun 2018, 10:17 AM edit delete reply
Check under the bed.
EmergencyTemporalShift 14th Jun 2018, 11:15 AM edit delete reply
I've finally caught up on this emotional roller coaster; now I can finally help steer the hug train. (Why doesn't it think 'hug' is a word?) And I can even browse the discord without spoilers.
Twelveseal 14th Jun 2018, 12:12 PM edit delete reply
Twelveseal
Take a look at the eye and brave the mouth for some scalpels. Cut the skin off the doorway, and let Nurse know we're going ahead, but she's welcome to come along. Whether she goes or not, we need to keep moving forward. We are the sum of our parts, and right now we need to find all of them.