Comic 1031 - Discuss the hummer situation

Posted on 18th May 2018, 12:21 PM in Chapter VIII
Discuss the hummer situation

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 18th May 2018, 12:21 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You keep your bug off the floor and away from the hallway vent, instead sending it up the wall and along the ceiling. You first check what's through the open door--as checking under the closed door will require getting back to floor level.

The open door gives way to a staircase... leading downward, under the church.

You have your bug at least peek through the glass of the closed door. You see... bookshelves? But it's hard to make out much else.

You bring up the prospect of getting guns and ammo in Southden, instead of here.

"Their firearm laws are far, far more restrictive," Dr. Finch points out. "It would be much more difficult to acquire the same grade of weaponry, I would think, if such guns are even available."

"More expensive, as well," Liz adds.

"We could work more deals with the Deck," Fuse suggests. "Getting them to sneak us illegal guns might be a bigger ask than borrowing a few computers, though. Like, even regular guns are kinda illegal there."

"Even if we get tha guns in Southden, we're prob'ly gonna want that hummer," Caius says. "S'gonna be hard to get in and out and deal with that church clean--if we get into a chase, I know what car I wanna be in."

"The hummer might already be compromised," Fuse says, somewhat sourly. "It's been sitting there long enough, if a member of Team Asshole spotted it they could have strapped... I dunno, bombs to it or something."

You remember that you left a raven with the hummer. You check on that raven.

Things... seem to be fine? The hummer is right where you left it, unguarded. You expected someone to at least try and break into it, but it looks perfectly intact. ...Then again, as resilient as the hummer is, a regular crook might not be able to force their way inside.

Comments:

Skullrama 18th May 2018, 12:51 PM edit delete reply
I think our best bet weapons-wise is to acquire some high-end but still legal firearms from dealers in the middle tiers. Given the lax gun laws here, we should be able to get some nice stuff without too much trouble or having to go to the low tiers for the really iffy stuff. Get a small pile of the same model high-end gun, trade them up and hope for a cool space gun.

I put my vote in for rifles, as I feel it fills in a gap in our options (long range, high penetration) but... depending on cost, maybe we could get a few types of weapon this way.

Regarding the hummer.... send a rat, look under the chassis for bombs or any objects that don't belong.
Madd 18th May 2018, 12:58 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Seconded.
ReikoLupus 18th May 2018, 1:14 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
We can use a Golem to start the Hummer, and even drive it. If they really put a bomb in it, it is going to explode when we start it, or after a few minutes of driving.
Even if we lose the Hummer, it isn't a great loss if nobody is inside.
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 1:29 PM edit delete reply
While driving a car with a golem sounds awkward, we should be able to manage a block or two... which would hopefully be enough to tell if it was safe or not. This sounds like a good idea if the rat-based visual check turns up nothing.
1977 18th May 2018, 1:20 PM edit delete reply
Golem to retrieve the hummer sounds good.
William the Guest 18th May 2018, 1:22 PM edit delete reply
Hey Judy wanted to see before I put up my comment, this webcomic is seriously the best I've ever read. I'm glad I finally caught up after a week or so or reading!

I think getting weapons and ammo in the current city us the best bet for us, it really doesn't make sense to go to Southden to get that supply at all, even if we were to use Deck it might take more time to do.

Also I'd like to suggest we strike pretty early in the morning like around 3AM. I mean Thale and Hope won't be expecting it at all and if we're worried about a kill switch on poor Griz, then this would be the optimal choice in my opinion. Plus we can ask Elizabeth what time she remembers having the most freedom from Thale's influence. When we strike I imagine the window would be short as Hope may callThale ASAP.

... unless we cut power to the building at the start of the attack. What do you all think?
1977 18th May 2018, 1:32 PM edit delete reply
Cutting the power in this world means taking out all the powerplants in the continent so I think maybe not?
William the Guest 18th May 2018, 1:44 PM edit delete reply
That's right I forgot about the power thing! Then I wonder if Fuse can hack into phone systems or jam phone systems to stop Hope from contacting Thale.
Fishbulb 18th May 2018, 1:24 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
I'm a little suspicious. If we're going to try to get the Hummer back, whoever does it should bring along some kind of device to search for bugs, trackers, or other electronic surveillance and either search it on the spot (if it's safe there), or bring it to another location that's not one of our bases to make sure it's electronics free.
1977 18th May 2018, 1:29 PM edit delete reply
Alternatively to the hummer we could try trading up the cars in Ilworth, like I seggested last page.
We own the town already so it should be no problem clearing some space to have a flat surface for the circle.
Besides cars there may even be some bikes in the town (motorbikes or bicycles or both) maybe a few trucks.
I guess hoping for a few abandoned tanks or fighterjets in Ilworth is to much?
After all that we can then trade some bioprinters and biopaste.
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 1:33 PM edit delete reply
The downside here is that clearing and flattening enough space for this will be very time consuming - it would take the muscle of our crew the majority of the day to pull this off, and time is short.

When we're not going to see a kidnapped friend dead within a couple days, this is definitely a project worth trying.
1977 18th May 2018, 1:43 PM edit delete reply
I like to think that they already started clearing the space as soon as the town was ours.
As for how we get the car to the city in time: bloodportal.
We can open a portal in Ilworth, get the car in, go to the city and pull it out there.
Gigafreak 18th May 2018, 2:13 PM edit delete reply
Jane only learned to blood-portal coins a few minutes ago, and she has to do that by absorbing it into her body first. I'm uncertain if it would work on things larger than her own body (otherwise we could just portal Thale's monster into the red and stop caring about it). Even if it did work on things larger than herself, I think it'd probably require more practice than a single afternoon can provide.
1977 18th May 2018, 3:26 PM edit delete reply
With bloodportal I thought putting a large puddle of blood on the ground and not inside our body.
Kinda like we teleported ourselves from the bodybag into our bed through a large pool of blood.
ReikoLupus 18th May 2018, 1:40 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Wait, maybe we don't have the time for a giant Trade of Cars, but getting a good amount of bikes and trading them sound like a very good idea.

They don't look like much of we put them at the side of a motorcycle or a car, but advanced bikes can be incredible fast and requires less human effort. What would happen if we get an Super-Advanced-Alien-Byke?
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 1:44 PM edit delete reply
That... is an interesting proposal. I would think we would at least get some sort of high end single-person transportation device. Which could come in VERY handy.
undeadDreamer 18th May 2018, 2:46 PM edit delete reply
Can we make a person shaped Golem to go get weapons for us? Is that a thing we could try to do?
echo 18th May 2018, 3:05 PM edit delete reply
"People are hard"

http://bloodismine.thecomicseries.com/comics/786/
undeadDreamer 18th May 2018, 2:46 PM edit delete reply
Can we make a person shaped Golem to go get weapons for us? Is that a thing we could try to do?
undeadDreamer 18th May 2018, 2:46 PM edit delete reply
Can we make a person shaped Golem to go get weapons for us? Is that a thing we could try to do?
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 3:01 PM edit delete reply
The most person shaped golem we've got is Mini-Jane but, uh... something tells me that they won't sell guns to her.

As for making an adult-sized golem, while I'm sure we can get the size and general shape with enough effort, it would still be, effectively, a lump of gross meat approximating a person. Maybe with a trenchcoat and a fedora... ahaha
Ablaze 18th May 2018, 3:41 PM edit delete reply
The police are most likely watching/tracking the car. If you go get it, expect to be followed.
Blue_Elite 18th May 2018, 3:45 PM edit delete reply
Given some of the suggestions the past few days, I feel like we need to be reminded that time and money are both limited resources. Also, if I'm not mistaken the rituals only work if you place objects on the rituals. One of the specific limitations of Ilworth is a lack of flat and level ground to paint a ritual on. That shortcoming could be dealt with, if we had more time.

It's entirely possible we're overthinking this. All we really have to do is get Grizwald to safety and prevent the monster from eating people. What if we used our new golem self-duplication technique and created a whole bunch of little golems and stored them in some place where they won't be found (maybe on top of the building). Then when we enact our plan to save Grizwald, we use all those golems as fonts for portaling in our blood and flooding the church. Thale might be very reluctant to have his monster consume a whole mess of our blood as well as drop/break the floor and risk getting that blood in his monster. It doesn't deal with the monster permanently, but it removes half the problem with saving Grizwald and we can always deal with the monster at a later time when the situation is more favorable.
On that note, I'd highly recommend snapping a picture of the monster in the tunnels if possible. If we could give that to Jury, maybe we can get the feds in on this.

For the blood bug, check in the book room just to scope it out. Maybe it's just a library, maybe it has more. If nothing more of interest, continue to head left and down.